Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Cat fish on the fly

Yep, many times I've had Channel cats or Bullheads grab a fly. I don't target them specifically when fly fishing, but if they grab the fly, I'm OK with it.

There some over 100 lbs in the area where I live, so not sure I would want one of them big ones to grab a fly. Too much chance of breaking my equipment!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

2. Likes ia_trouter, karstopo liked this post
  3. Default Re: Cat fish on the fly

I've caught some nice channels while bass fishing both in ponds, streams, and in Lake Erie also. Always on buggers pretty much, in deep holes. Always a welcomed surprise!

4. Likes karstopo liked this post

Flatheads like woody cover and overhead cover. A sunken log especially if they can get under it would be good. I'd try to get a big fly right in front of him.

If those lakes you have are tailraces, catfish get active in water releases--they can feast on dead and injured shad.

6. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
  7. Default Re: Cat fish on the fly

I once caught a catfish and a rainbow trout on consecutive casts in a stock pond in Texas. I doubt that happens to me again. Both bit an olive wooly bugger

8. Likes ejsell, ia_trouter, Flyfisher for men liked this post

It's that time again. 4' down along a rip rap bank. Was throwing a #10 bugger for bluegills on a 4 wt and these guys made an appearance. Between 11 AM and 4 PM. Just good eaters. They'll be in the oven later. I REALLY like fresh catfish with slaw and hushpuppies. Going to grab a few ears of corn to go with them.

Blog Entries

I’ve been doing well on size 6 tungsten beaded buggers. Yellow hackle, black marabou, black bugger chenille or the same with chartreuse hackle.

I haven’t tried these but on one lake, but they seem productive just about every time I go out. Fishing with floating line and pretty long fluorocarbon leaders just as a mini sink tip. Tungsten gets down 2-3 times faster than lead or brass. I just throw the fly right against the shore, could be bulkhead or a natural vegetation type, and bring the fly in slow and into deeper water trying to stay pretty close to the bottom. Get hung on submerged logs on occasion, but it’s not too bad getting the fly free.

Fish have ranged from tiny to 5.5 pounds with a lot of eaters in the mix. This lake is a natural cut off lake and is only 12-14’ deep at the deepest. Water typically is about 18”-2’ feet of visibility.

11. Likes fr8dog liked this post
    Blog Entries

A photo of some catfish productive flies

The yellow and chartreuse seem to be the best. Olive has been good some days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Likes fr8dog, ia_trouter liked this post

A little while back I was following a school of whites on the surface. Just 10-13" schoolies hitting about a foot down in 20 feet of water. Got a 4 or 5lb channel in the mix. Thought I hooked the mother of all hybrids.

15. Likes karstopo liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12