The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Warmwater Fly Fishing Bass, Bream, Perch, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  58
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-17-2017, 01:34 PM

bloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Warm-water Essential Flies

Great minds...I also use the replacement spinner bait skirts for rubber legs. Lots of choice and affordable.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo liked this post
Old 05-17-2017, 04:44 PM

clouserguyky is a name known to allclouserguyky is a name known to allclouserguyky is a name known to allclouserguyky is a name known to allclouserguyky is a name known to allclouserguyky is a name known to all

I fish a lot of warmwater species, mostly black bass and carp, but also for crappie and bluegill at times. You've got everything you need already recommended in this thread, but just to reinforce everyone else's posts, you can go wrong with buggers and clousers in different sizes, weights, and colors. I like to carry a few in natural tones and a few crazy ones. For bluegill, size 10-8 seems best, for smallies, 6-2 works best, and for largemouth, size 4-2 are my go to sizes. Different sizes and colors will imitate minnows, crawfish, leeches, and nymphs.

I like to have three types of top waters: poppers (loud), sliders (quiet), and terrestrials (silently twitched). I personally carry boogle bug poppers, sneaky pete sliders, and foam hoppers.

For carp, don't overlook much maligned trout patterns such as the mop fly, egg patters, and worm patterns. But I've also caught carp and other bottom feeders on clousers, buggers and nymphs.

Lasty I like to break out the articulated stuff for largemouth and gar, and sometimes smallies. My two patterns I like to use are Russ Madden's circus-peanut and Galloups Sex Dungeon. and I've hooked one carp on a huge articulated fly, but only by chance when it thought my fly was a crawfish. Don't be afraid to go huge for the gar and largemouth. For the gar, saltwater hooks help get through that tough fleshless mouth, but are too expensive to waste by losing flies and not being able to remove them safely. You can catch gar with old school "rope" flies, which are essentially just a frayed rope tied to a shank...

Hope that helps!!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kentuckysteve, karstopo liked this post
Old 05-17-2017, 09:09 PM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

All flies mentioned will work for you. Think of scaling down from the. salt. Fly patterns you have will work. I don't do any fresh water fishing, except for club outings since being in Florida. Guys in the club are using foam spiders, hoppers, beetles, ants...... all kinds of buggy stuff. Killin' crapies & the like with the foam stuff. If you do beetles.... have wing sticking out. Wing vs no wing outcaught 3 to 1 when I was in Pa. If you ever see a beetle in the water, wing will be out.
Bass have big mouths & the more they can fit in. The less they have to eat. They like it that way. Big stacked hair frogs are good (weed guards). And a bass's lip smacker too.

........ pc
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo, kentuckysteve liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 08:40 AM

gpwhitejr will become famous soon enough

My experience so far this spring suggests that you only need one fly: a woolly bugger. I have caught crappies, bluegills, LM bass, SM bass, and brook trout in the local pond using a brown woolly bugger. Maybe add a popping bug of some kind so you can enjoy the surface attack, so two flies (then I ask myself why I carry about twenty different flies...)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo, kentuckysteve, clouserguyky liked this post
Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Warm-water Essential Flies

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite pan fish fly is the McGinty. It's an old patten from the 1800s and there's a good reason why it's still around.
I tie mine softhackle style instead of the traditional winged wet and that seems to be just fine with the fish.

My personal best largemouth was taken on a store bought Sneaky Pete slider although I make my own as well
Any color is good, as long as it's yellow.

The Dahlberg Diver is an incredible fish attractor.
The ponds where I fish often have more weed than open water, so I tie mine bend-back style.
You need to use a 3/0 for the proper balance. Needless to say, all my bass flies have weed guards of one sort or another.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:11 AM

fr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to beholdfr8dog is a splendid one to behold

Ed Jaworowski's "Essential Saltwater Flies" is the book I use for ideas. Just switch out the hooks.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:05 PM

philly is a jewel in the roughphilly is a jewel in the roughphilly is a jewel in the roughphilly is a jewel in the rough

Bass- Top water, standard poppers, Sneaky style sliders, large spiders tied on size 2 or 4 hooks, Los Alamos Ants, one I a call a heart popper, body is a heart shaped piece of foam, it gives me action similar to a Jitterbug. Subsurface mainly bait fish patterns Hoo Fly style, high tyed rather than V tied, Two off-beat patterns, the Calcasieu Pig Boat, tied using spinner bait skirts or skirt layers, think Sili Legs. I've tied up some larger Mop flies and plan to give them a try when I head up to the Poconos for week this Sunday.
Panfish- Smaller versions of the above flies and large soft hackles tied on size 10 Partridge Klinkhammer hooks.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:47 PM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

I was at the new place late today meeting my wife to do some measuring for window treatments. I got there a little ahead of her and just so happened to have my 5-6 Wgt CGR handy. I also had my saltwater box available and picked out a size 2 gotcha like fly I tied in purple, black and gold. I made a few casts from the dock and just as she's driving up I go to pull up my fly from near a brush pile and I get resistance. I'm thinking it's the brush, but the brush moves. She walks over to see me fighting a world record tilapia. Not really a world record, how big do they get?, but it's the biggest I've seen. I lost it trying to pull it onto the deck. Might have been a three or four pound fish.

I think I'm going to like being able to walk out the door and fish.
Likes dennyk liked this post
Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 PM

bigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond reputebigjim5589 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't just walk out the door & fish, but within a 5 minute drive I can be fishing in the lake.

There are many very good fly patterns that can be used for warm water fish. I likely have hundreds of patterns I've used or might use. Some are patterns or styles that I've adapted that are not usually considered for warm water. I've become particularly fond of such flies as Intruders for bass.

I'm also quite old school, so stick with tried & true styles too, especially for bass.
In my fly boxes there are always Lefty's Deceivers, Clouser Minnows, Half & Half's, Seaducers, various poppers, sliders, Gurglers and various types of rabbit strip patterns.

You can use as many or as few patterns as you like, and catch plenty of fish.
IMO, size, profiles, and the action or movement of the fly is more important than the actual pattern 99.9% of the time. You can match the hatch with whatever forage is in the lake, or just go with generic patterns that may match nothing specifically, or many things. I've found both approaches to work great at times.Plus of course there's those attractor types that match nothing, yet still catch fish.

I like trying many things, so I carry & will use a wide variety of patterns. However, much of the time I'll start with one style & pattern & stick with it, until I find I'm having no success with it, then I'll change flies and often try something completely different.

It's highly probable you already have all the flies you need, but where's the fun in limiting what you use? Try new things & experiment, and be open minded about what you try. IMO, that's what is essential!
Old 06-01-2017, 02:57 PM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

Click the image to open in full size.

Caught this 5.5# post spawn pond pickle on a size 8 purple Hackle Crab I tie for sheepshead and redfish. I saw the fish right by the dock and cast 2' off to the side. Fish turned and went straight for the fly.

Very fun on the 5/6 wgt.CGR. Got 3 or 4 good jumps. Can't believe it stayed on.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes