Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default smallies in the river!

I have been targeting steel lately and now smallies are coming in the river! watched some target small minnows and stuff and caught 2 so far one not trying and one I targeted it. both on a clouser minnow. whats the best patterns for smallmouth? I like to tie so let me kno of some good patterns. I am thinking minnows like I caught them on so far but any good patterns will do. so far caught mine on olive and white and red white clousers.
    "Hey, you.Get your damn hands off my herl !!!!"

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.

Default Re: smallies in he river!

Hi McFly,

You will like the Smallmouth fishing. Take a look at the picture of the Janssen"s Minnow. You might also look at some Zonkers besides the Clouser's.

I think you should get out and turn over some rocks and see want is in the river. You can also check with the local Fish Biologist that covers your water. I would bet you have leech's in the river and there is a ton of different leech imitations you can try.

Last but not least try some of the Thunder Creek series of minnow imitations. Instructions for The Brown Pearl is in the Fly Tying FAQ

Frank

Janssen's Minnow

THUNDER CREEK BROWN PEARL

Hi McFly,

Here is another tutorial for tying the Thunder Creek style of fly. They are a easy tye and they do catch fish. This tutorial shows a little different technique and I wanted you to see the different approaches used by the two tyers.

Frank

There are a few crawfish patterns out there that would work very well. A larger clouser minnow would be very well. Just about anything that is minnowish will do just fine. Large woolly buggers are also suggested but I've never used them for smallies. A popper fly in slack water will be fun since smallies love topwaters...but in a river there may be too much surface clutter for the bass to notice it. A muddler minnow I would also suggest. Something that would get their attention since smallies are not as shy as what trout are and often something making noise, has color, or looks natural enough will get bit by them.
    <*))))>< Fish with teeth ... If I ty it a fish will hit it

5. Default Re: smallies in he river!

thanks for all the patterns! I have caught rock bass on a black wooley bugger. I am gonna give some of these patterns a look and maybe try to tie um up if I got the stuff for um. thanks guys. will hopefully have a few pics of a few smallies soon!

I've been using Clousers for the past 6-7 years for smallmouth. They work
    for me, but a I tie them with bead chain eyes (no lead dumbells are going
    to break my rods ). I've been within casting distance of other FF going
    after smallmouth, and my Clousers work when their ____ patterns don't. I tend to stick with a pattern until it doesn't work, and the haven't had a reason to switch.

Having said that, I'd use any bucktail and flash streamer for smallmouth.
    Presentation plays a big role as well. I cast up and across, but get a large
    portion of my strikes while stripping the fly back upstream. It's easy to pull
    a streamer out of the fish's mouth in that circumstance, so sharp hooks and
    a one second pause helps.

7. Default Re: smallies in he river!

I caught that nice 19" bronzeback in the Snake River just outside of Shelly in Idaho. I was told that due to the popularity of Bass Fishing they are introducing them to more waters.
    I just used a 7' leader, strike indicator and Mr. Ugly.

8. Default Re: smallies in he river!

is that just all olive marabou joni?

Hi McFly-
    Not to steal Joni's answer, but I'm guessing that's olive Ostrich herl?! And, if I'm wrong, I apologize. Nice to see you're getting to hit the streams and ponds pretty hard lately.

Helgramite pattern, Bead head rubber leg stone, and poppers! Hit the pockets in front of and behind boulders with the poppers and have fun.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast