Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Something to keep in Mind...

Default Something to keep in Mind...

Though we often consider this with Bass and Trout while they're on their redds, it might be worthwhile to educate ourselves as to all species we fish for and their habits regarding spawning and rearing of fry.

This morning I witnessed something I had never seen before. Walking out to the end of our dock I noted one of the rare Catfish in our waters circling an area over and over, and when any other fish would come near suddenly attack it and run them off. Instantly I thought to myself how that is a species that I have never taken on a fly rod, maybe here is my chance, and then I looked closer.

Initially over a patch of vegetation the fish seemed to be defending the area, perhaps a 3' diameter area. No seeming rhyme or reason at first, yet then I saw what looked like a 1' diameter and 1" thick black cloud of something move out from the weeds, and the catfish remained over it. When a Bluegill raced in toward it, it was then as the Catfish attacked that the cloud seemed to scatter from the disturbance and then come back together and I suddenly realized what it was.

Perhaps 1,000 grain of rice sized fry, clearly the Catfishes young, and it struck me. In the time that it would take to reel in the Catfish, unhook it and return it to the water, considering the aggressiveness and number of 2-3" Bluegills in the area, that would mean by the time I got it back all of its young for this entire year, would be wiped out.

With that in mind, instead of fishing this morning I think I'll take a bit of time and read up on some of the species here. Most I'd like to see more of, so why do something unintentional or not that hurts what I'd like to see happen?

I can tailor my "catch of the day" to other species, and see my own little personal fishery thrive.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Default Re: Something to keep in Mind...

I had no clue Catfish protected their young like this. Thanks for the education and suggestion to reflect before one hooks.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

3. Likes GrtLksMarlin, kentuckysteve liked this post

In the fall, brook trout spawn in the little trickle that flows through my back woods.
    I've never even considered trying to catch one.
    They supply the future that I'll someday cast to downstream in the more "fishable" water.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

Great post.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.

- William Blake

6. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

great, educational post.

care of water temperature and time of year goes for the same. respecting the seasonality of fishing is important in some areas. catching trout in hot, low water when the stress could kill them on the release. respecting spawning times. important information to have if you are a conservationist fisher.

to your point. just because you can. doesn't mean you should.

8. Likes GrtLksMarlin, dennyk liked this post

I think I'll take a bit of time and read up on some of the species here.

I did so, too,and learned this: two sources said males stay and guard the nest/fry for about a week from other fish, including the female. That's my educated guess as to what you were seeing.

Like all things in the wild, it depends on carrying capacity. You could, in theory, catch that catfish you saw, take him home for lunch, and lose every one of the fry to bluegill predation, and not affect the population at all. you could also, in theory, devastate the population by doing that very thing.

10. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Paying attention to whats happening in water. Is way to.often overlooked..... or just not given enough attention.
    Knowing habits of fish and their prey. Makes for a better fisherman.
    Not sure about cats in freshwater. The ones in saltwater are bulldogs for their size.

Kudos, nice job !

...... pc

12. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Excellent thread. If only all fishers thought like you...

14. Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post

Something RipTide just posted that is directly applicable to our discussion, yet about Black Bass: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ting-bass.html

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.