Nets for large mouth bass fishing on ponds....

freakaccident

Reaction score
I will start off saying that I am new to the sport.

I need a net. I am hauling bass in through heavy cover and when they get to the shore I need to get them out of the water without falling in myself. In the old days, like 2 weeks ago, I used to fish with a spinning rod and Power Pro line. I could lob a hog up onto the bank without much trouble and if a big fatty was on the line jumping in so I didn't lose it was always an option. Not so with fly fishing. I need a way to get bass from the water to the shore without breaking my leader or going swimming. :icon_mrgr

What do you suggest? I was looking at this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HRLL3PA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3RS6QGYLJHP7F&colid=Q8A6Y55996OH

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
It's not that a net like that won't work; I have one it works just fine. However, you might miss the longer handle of a boat net.

I'm usually wearing waders or wet wading so it's not a problem something like below might be better for you, especially in the staying dry department:

https://goo.gl/xaaf6h - telescopic handle boat net

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You ever see Bill Dance or Hank Parker use a net for a Hawg Bass even once? :D

I'm just teasing. It is a bit trickier with a 9ft willow branch for a rod isn't it? I still lip them but it's dicey at times. Welcome to the forum.

Dewayne

freakaccident

Reaction score
You ever see Bill Dance or Hank Parker use a net for a Hawg Bass even once? :D

I'm just teasing. It is a bit trickier with a 9ft willow branch for a rod isn't it? I still lip them but it's dicey at times. Welcome to the forum.

Dewayne
Some of these retention ponds I fish the water is about 9 inches or so down from the edge too. It's flat then a 90 degree drop down 9 inches to the water. I'm fatter than I was when I was 16 so the belly seems to be designed to propel me forward into the water. I think Samsung made their phones waterproof for fools like me.

bill_s

Reaction score
I wanted a net good for wading and also for warm water fishing. I fish some warm water ponds that have a steep bank and heavy vegetation near the bank. For the pond fishing I needed something with a reach, but for trout fishing I wanted something easy to carry.

I bought this net....

https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Trout-Net-15-Inch/dp/B001FTOPRE/ref=pd_sbs_200_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FTOPRE&pd_rd_r=AN020PJ70B82F5XV2JW9&pd_rd_w=2oVYq&pd_rd_wg=SIrLe&psc=1&refRID=AN020PJ70B82F5XV2JW9

(got it for $13.95 on sale at Cabelas, rubberized net mesh)

Then I made a 5' handle, from PVC pipe and used two hose clamps to secure the net handle inside the pipe. Painted the pipe with matte black Krylon. It looks great...and was cheap.

When I am fishing at the pond I have a long reach big sized deep net. When I am wading I remove the pipe extension and I have a good wading net.

Cheers

Last edited:

wee hooker

Reaction score
I wanted a net good for wading and also for warm water fishing. I fish some warm water ponds that have a steep bank and heavy vegetation near the bank. For the pond fishing I needed something with a reach, but for trout fishing I wanted something easy to carry.

I bought this net....

https://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Trout-Net-15-Inch/dp/B001FTOPRE/ref=pd_sbs_200_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001FTOPRE&pd_rd_r=AN020PJ70B82F5XV2JW9&pd_rd_w=2oVYq&pd_rd_wg=SIrLe&psc=1&refRID=AN020PJ70B82F5XV2JW9

(got it for $13.95 on sale at Cabelas, rubberized net mesh)

Then I made a 5' handle, from PVC pipe and used two hose clamps to secure the net handle inside the pipe. Painted the pipe with matte black Krylon. It looks great...and was cheap.

When I am fishing at the pond I have a long reach big sized deep net. When I am wading I remove the pipe extension and I have a good wading net.

Cheers

I'll second the vote for the Frabill net for bass fishing. However, I use the next size up which is the Frabill Rubber Handled Trout Landing Net 3672 It has a 13x18 hoop and is a little deeper than the 3671 "trout" size. Once the fish is in, even a decent pike, it is not flipping out. It's also allot lighter than the wooden handled nets suggested ( I have one of each for comparison :)

That said, the Frabill nets have short handles. If your trying to keep your feet dry, you might need a net with a 2-3' handle.
It's hard to have it all!

emann

Reaction score
Throw on some sandals and don't be afraid to get a little wet in order to lip the fish, would be my advice and what I tend to do with warm water species. Might not be an option for lakes by you but don't be afraid of getting a bit muddy!