Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Nice morning on a small pond

Blog Entries

Default Nice morning on a small pond

My daughter and her husband have a small pond on their property, stocked with largemouth bass and bluegill. It hadn't been fished for a while, so I went out, this morning.

Tied on a black wooly bugger with a red tail. Second cast produced a nice little bass. Then about every second or third cast I had another bass or bluegill. I fished for about an hour and ended up with eight or ten fish landed. It was a good morning outing.

And since I was fishing from the bank for table fare and not on a stream practicing C&R, here are a couple fishy photos.

Thanks,
    steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Default Re: Nice morning on a small pond

That was a good day.10 fish in an hour is a perfect example of why i love farm ponds.
    Those fish are beauties.I have never tried a black red tailed wooly but i can see it happening in my near future.
    -Steve

3. Likes spm, dragon11 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Steve
    Congrats on an awesome morning of fishing, you can't beat those small farm ponds!!!!
    Larry

5. Likes spm liked this post

That looked like a fine day Steve. The warm water fishing has been really something here this year. Wish I could understand why.

7. Likes spm liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckysteve View Post
    That was a good day.10 fish in an hour is a perfect example of why i love farm ponds.
    Those fish are beauties.I have never tried a black red tailed wooly but i can see it happening in my near future.
    Yeah, farm ponds are fun.

A gentleman I met on a trout stream, probably last year, gave me the bugger. At the time, he was catching rainbows on it ...regularly. As I've said before, I tend to listen to people like that.

steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

9. Likes karstopo liked this post

Nice spot you have there.

While I have not (yet ) tried a red and black WB, I have learned that bass like red. In the conventional fishing world, red worms, spinnerbaits , even hooks are part of most well seasoned tackle box's.

In the fly world, red and white, red and yellow , red and black are staple colors for poppers. I've also found that a touch of red added to any fly/lure can make a considerable difference when night fishing.

11. Likes spm, fq13 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wee hooker View Post
    Nice spot you have there.

While I have not (yet ) tried a red and black WB, I have learned that bass like red. In the conventional fishing world, red worms, spinnerbaits , even hooks are part of most well seasoned tackle box's.

In the fly world, red and white, red and yellow , red and black are staple colors for poppers. I've also found that a touch of red added to any fly/lure can make a considerable difference when night fishing.
    Back in my pre-enlightened days, when I hung around bait fishermen, they would refer to the red tail on a plastic worm as a "Fire tail".

steve

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

While I'm here, is this program for pictures working properly? I can't tell when I post them. Do you have to wait for them to download?

Thanks,
    steve

13. Default Re: Nice morning on a small pond

Great, you have a pond there, and 10 fishes in an hour that is wonderful.

14. Likes spm liked this post