did a little bass fishing today..

Joey W

Reaction score
there is no where near by to buy nice flies, so i went to walmart and bought some poppers. no clue if they are worth anything..

i didn't have much luck fishing, but the poppers were getting alot of attention. i could see the bass following and even sometimes hitting the popper, but they would never real attack it or bite it..
probaby a combination of the cheap poppers and me being a newb..

austin

Reaction score
I am brand new (4 weeks) to fly fishing and started fishing with walmart poppers per a forum i found on bluegills here. I had the same problem as you. But it's not the poppers, it's the size of the hook. Try a smaller hook, even though you will be catching smaller fish, you will at least get the feel for catching the fish. Also I highly recommend bright yellow or flourescent yellow or white poppers from walmart, they work in almost any condition.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
There are numerous online stores to buy descent flies. Check out yagers flies and see if you find anything you like.

Joey W

Reaction score
hook size makes a lot of sense..appreciate the info.

checking out yagers right now..ty for the tip.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
Premium Discount Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Shop some flies as low as 45 cents! where I 1st went to get flies before I started tying my own. sometimes I still go there for complicated flies. never been let down so far. caught me fish on big y fly flies. also The Angler's Dream Fly Shop flies got me my 1st fish ever on a fly.

my advice tho is that ther are so many flies on them that look great but look around you waters and pick accordingly. don't waste money on pretty flies. research and get what ya need for around you. a couple basics would be black (leech patterns), olive, and white wooley buggers, a couple clousers in say chartruese/white or what ever color baitfish are around you for underwater fishing and some drit flies and terrestrial patterns for top. certain poppers are great fro smallies but I am not smart ing that so point us put some of those anyone

Joey W

Reaction score
appreciate the feedback guys. i am going to place on order for some flies soon. just trying to fish a little and see what seems to work.

took my son fly fishing this morning and we caught 2 nice bass and a great bream.. all on a black wooly bugger.

thanks again!

Attachments

fishenrg

Reaction score
Nice fish there, I bet that was a blast on a fly rod. My experience with poppers is that sometimes conditions simply aren't right for surface flies like that. Other times they will be a magnet. The bugger, as you discovered, will work just about any time!

kais 4795

Account on hold
Reaction score
If you really don't care about the size of the fish, try a size 12 or 14 beadhead. The smaller fish can't resist these. Make sure to set the hook quick though because sometimes they will swallow it. A good dry for smaller fish is a foam ant. The key is, as has been already stated, the hook size.
Kais
Onetoomanyhobbie.com