travel rod bass

eldermike

Reaction score
I keep my 4 weight ovris frequent flyer rod in my side bag on my harley. On one trip I was on the causeway on lake mattamuskeet and stopped at one of the many canals. I caught and released a bunch of bass that day, all without seeing another person or even a single car go by. There are places like that in the south east but you have to look for them. This picture is from this year fishing a small pond at a wildlife club. My travel rod is a 4 weight 7 piece and it's as good a rod as I have ever owned. But the main thing, it fits in the side bag of my bike.

Last edited:

ant

Reaction score
Pics not working.....

It's great that you have a rod that you can keep with you when you get up and go. I have an old 7' unknown-name that I keep in the back for the exact same reason.

eldermike

Reaction score
I am working on the picture thing, I have no idea how to get them to work.

ant

Reaction score
When doing your post, in the Message toolbar there is a little yellow square with a mountain and sun in it, click that. That will bring up a box that you can copy the URL (http://blah blah blah.com) in it. This will embed the pic into the post.

If your pic is not online, I would suggest getting a photobucket account and uploading them there, and then use that URL. I think photobucket allows unlimited photos, or some ridiculously high number, because I've never heard of anyone running out of space on there.

eldermike

Reaction score
I pasted in the address of my album on this site. I am going to try it again.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

Ok figured it out. The http// is already in the window and pasting it again is whats going on. So I hit edit and backed out one of the http's and bingo.

wee hooker

Reaction score
I have a 7pc 8wt from Cortland that's "OK" but mostly I find anything over 5 pc "Clubby". Wondering what brand your 4 wt is as I'm in the market for a 5 or 6 wt 7pc?

MacFly55

Reaction score
Im glad you got the picture thing figured out because that is one awesome looking fish.. :fishing:

MacFly :cool:

eldermike

Reaction score
Wee hooker, that's an Orvis 4 weight travel rod. It packs very well in the side bag of my street glide.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Im glad you got the picture thing figured out because that is one awesome looking fish.. :fishing:

Thanks. She fought hard on that little rod but I did not have to much trouble getting her back in the water in good shape.

MacFly55

Reaction score
It's funny how it is always easier getting them back in the water than out of it.. :D

cattech89

Reaction score
I have a 7pc 8wt from Cortland that's "OK" but mostly I find anything over 5 pc "Clubby". Wondering what brand your 4 wt is as I'm in the market for a 5 or 6 wt 7pc?
Hey, check out the Redington CT series. Ive casted their 3wt 6pc and, of course Im no expert, it casts pretty seamlessly. I was impressed with how smoothly it loads up and springs to life. I never noticed any clubbiness.

Eldermike, great post glad you had a good time. Enjoyed your pics.

eldermike

Reaction score
Hey, check out the Redington CT series. Ive casted their 3wt 6pc and, of course Im no expert, it casts pretty seamlessly. I was impressed with how smoothly it loads up and springs to life. I never noticed any clubbiness.

Eldermike, great post glad you had a good time. Enjoyed your pics.
Thanks.

That redington rod is a good one indeed. I think any well designed 6 or 7 piece travel rod will cast well. I would not keep a rod that felt clubby, life is to short to fish with a club.:)

wjc

Reaction score
Nice bass Mike! Especially on a 4 wt! I don't fish for them much anymore, but do get into the everglades for them a few times a year on windy days, but use a 7 wt.

I had a bonnevile 650 for a fishmobile when I was younger. It got into places jeeps couldn't go.

Thanks for the picture of the big mamma bass. Got me fired up for a trip to my favorite bass spot.

Cheers,
Jim

eldermike

Reaction score
Nice bass Mike! Especially on a 4 wt! I don't fish for them much anymore, but do get into the everglades for them a few times a year on windy days, but use a 7 wt.

I had a bonnevile 650 for a fishmobile when I was younger. It got into places jeeps couldn't go.

Thanks for the picture of the big mamma bass. Got me fired up for a trip to my favorite bass spot.

Cheers,
Jim
My first scooter was a 650 Triumph B, 1968 if I remember right. They still make that bike but with more CC's and better quality control.

wee hooker

Reaction score
Ok so my last bike went away about 4 years ago but this thread still got me to "needing" another travel rod. Have they really gotten that much better? Stumbled onto a 60% off deal on a leftover Cortland 444 outfit. Rod was a CL model in 8'. 6 pc 4wt. Being a fan and owner of several other 4 pc CL rods I took a chance. Wow, I have to say I was amazed at the rods lightness and smooth action . it really felt as good as most 4 pc rods I've fished and better than some. Took it to the family pond to "slime it" and was not disappointed. The water ahd dropped to near nothing but there were still some bluegills within 50-60' of my casting spot. Casting was smooth and decently accurate with a # 8 BHWB on the provided 444 classic Wf4F. Distance was respectable as well. Best of all, it "felt good" in the hand. Especially with a vibrating gill on the other end.
Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

eldermike

Reaction score
Good posts guys!

To sum it all up, the best rod you will ever own is the one you have with you when a chance to fish comes up.