Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

I have used scuds with good results on bream. However I wonder if they should be fished from the bottom. Also what about fishing a midge? I have a couple of small ones that I made up...but not sure how to fish them with successful results...thanks.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Default Re: How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

I've had good success doing short slow strips when fishing those flies by themselves. 1 to 3 inches is what I do with a nice slow but steady strip.
    Check out thew best page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383970318419257/

3. Default Re: How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

I normally fish a midge or scud as a dropper behind an emerger.

John

Typically I fish scuds dead drift near the bottom; and I fish midges either dead drift near the bottom or dead drift under the surface depending on where the fish are holding/sipping.

5. Default Re: How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

Me too. Scuds off the bottom with maybe 6" to 8" to split shot, and midge 12" to 24" off a dry. On stillwater, I have fished 3' to 5' off a dry.

For the midges, you may also want to put some floatant on the leader about 4 inches from the fly (nothing on the fly of course). The fly will then float just under the surface. Keep an eye on that leader and use a gentle raising of the rod.

7. Default Re: How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

Oh Yeah, good point. I love Frog Fanny. I do put some on my wd40's, zebra's, etc. It forms a little air bubble around the fly which gives it a irresistible effect.

Does anyone have a good website in bookmarks that discusses emergers? I am new to fly fishing, and have several flies in my aresenal. However I do not know how to fish many of them. If they are to be fished on the bottom, or which need floatant to stay on top etc...?
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

9. Default Re: How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

If you go to Phil Rowley's site he has some good tips and articles on fishing these patterns. www.feathercraftangling.com

10. Default Re: How do you fish a midge and scud properly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast