Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Gearing Up for Musky- Lend me your opinions (TFO Esox, Mangrove, others)

Quote Originally Posted by sabbatoy View Post
    I have the Echo Ion in a number of weights. The 10 wt is a pretty good rod for the price. I have a Mystic Reaper in 7 wt that is a fast action rod. I think Mystic still has their buy one get one free rod sale going on.
    The original Echo Ion was probably the best low priced musky rod available. I haven't heard much about the XL upgrade but when they slice that much weight off a rod it worries me. I've never tried one, but I know a number of musky anglers whose opinions I trust rave about the Mystic 10 weight.

Default Re: Gearing Up for Musky- Lend me your opinions (TFO Esox, Mangrove, others)

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    Don't usually respond to one of my own posts, but I couldn't figure out another way to do this. I mentioned a new musky rod that was coming out in February by a small company in Minnesota. I had a chance to fish the prototype last October and was very impressed. Now I'm following through on my commitment to you to announce when it's actually on the market. It was announced today, in fact. The company is Limit Creek Rods in Spring Valley, Minnesota. It's retail price is $360.00. Now, an opinion from my opportunity to fish it. It was somewhere between 8'9" and 9', I don't recall exactly. It's weight was heavy by modern standards at over 6oz. However, I've come to realize that that weight is almost a necessity to give one a blank that will not only cast a large fly but will fight a good sized musky adequately. For many of us, that means shallow rivers in the upper midwest where you just cannot afford to give the fish an inch. The handle of the rod has an extended rear grip and an extended fore grip. Both are necessary to effectively use the rod as a two-handed rod when desired. You need that spread between the hands for the leverage necessary to pull off a crisp two-handed cast with no false casts. For those of you who remember the old Beulah Bluewater rods series, these handles are very similar. It's designed to toss a flyline of about 450-500gr. I was using the SA Titan Sonar Intermediate in 500gr. when I fished it and it seemed perfect. It's a four piece rod and will come with a hard tube. Haven't seen the tube yet, but that's been the plan. Their website now has the rod listed, and there is mention of it on their Facebook page and Instagram. It is called the Force M1 Apex Predator. I have not seen the finished product, but the designer assures me it's what he wanted with maybe a picky quibble or two that most of us wouldn't even notice. The crew from Limit Creek are at a fishing show in Wausau, Wisconsin through Sunday so expect that there might be a delay in answering any inquiries. Let me know if you have further questions. By the way, I have no affiliation at all with this rod company, and just ordered mine at retail.
    Well, we finally got a day in the 40's without 30mph winds so I got out to try the Limit Creek M1 Force musky rod as well as the new TFO Axiom II 10 weight. Both rods are quite nice. They managed to pare significant weight off the Axiom without ruining it for muskies. My original Axiom 10 weight wanted about 450gr of line weight which is a lot for a rod marked 10 weight. The new one is happy with 425gr which means a lot more lines are available for it. The butt is not as strong as the original, but it seems to be strong enough. I won't know that for sure until I match it up with a 40+" 'ski some time in May. The Limit Creek blew me away. I think I like it better than the prototype that I fished last fall. Even with a Buford single with the 5/0 hook point cut off I cast the very first cast a LONG way. Way longer than I would normally attempt on the river. I used a now discontinued Scientific Anglers Wet Tip Express 550gr cut back to 490gr on it and it loved it. In fact, it takes away my excuse to buy a new Titan Sonar 500gr for it. Both rods are well under $400.00 and are probably better musky rods than many that are considerably more expensive.

3. Default Re: Gearing Up for Musky- Lend me your opinions (TFO Esox, Mangrove, others)

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    Allen Fly Fishing has a line of very fast Azimuth rods that include a 9' 10 wt priced @$300 that appear perfect for musky work. They are designed to pitch big flies in big winds and the salt. Anyone use one?

My hand is hovering over the buy it key....

ddb
    I've got that rod in an 8wt that I use for bass and carp - also used it for redfish and snook. While I like it a lot for throwing a floating or intermediate line with relatively light flies, it doesn't really seem like it's up for the task of throwing of heavily weighted flies or sinking lines.

That being said, I have nothing but good things to say about Allen Fly Fishing. Everything I've ever bought from them has done what I expected it to do. The 10wt could very well be exactly what you're looking for and their 30 day test drive is worth noting.

The term "extra fast action" makes me nervous. While it may be counterintuitive one doesn't want a super fast rod with only a slight bit of flex in the tip. To cast a musky fly, the bend should be in the middle third of the blank. The tip should be stiff and the butt even more so. I can't recall how many times I've written this, but just because a rod is a ten weight, doesn't make it a musky rod. More than half the ten weights I've used I would never want to use for 'ski's. Let us know how it goes if you pull the trigger on this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123