Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

I fish a lot of the same type waters you intend to fish (NF Holston, New, Clinch, etc) and I will second what Clouserguyky has said. I've not fished the Clouser rod but I have fished the BVK and own the Mangrove in a 7wt. I think the Mangrove has the perfect action for throwing bass type stuff and is about as perfect a smallie rod as I've ever fished. It is also stout enough to handle the carp you intend to chase.

Lots of guys really like the BVK and I think it is a nice rod but the action, to me, is not as well suited for throwing open loops with big wind resistant flies as the Mangrove is.

As far as weight its hard to beat a 7 for an all around smallie rod. I fish 6 thru 8s for smallies depending what I'm throwing but a 7 will work most of the time.

2. Likes jr spey, clouserguyky, jayr liked this post
  3. Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

Quote Originally Posted by 2rjs View Post
    I think the Mangrove has the perfect action for throwing bass type stuff and is about as perfect a smallie rod as I've ever fished. It is also stout enough to handle the carp you intend to chase.

Lots of guys really like the BVK and I think it is a nice rod but the action, to me, is not as well suited for throwing open loops with big wind resistant flies as the Mangrove is.

As far as weight its hard to beat a 7 for an all around smallie rod. I fish 6 thru 8s for smallies depending what I'm throwing but a 7 will work most of the time.
    I agree about your points with the BVK for sure. It's very crisp and gets very tight loops, but for large bass bugs, conehead streamers, clousers, etc., that's not what we are wanting most of the time. The BVK is a sniper rifle and the Mangrove is a cannon. I'll take the sniper rifle fishing dry flies on a large river in the wind, but for bass I just want to keep my flies away from my rod.

That said, I do load my 7 weight Rio SMB line on my 6 weight BVK sometimes and that works nicely in some mid-sized streams near home.

4. Likes jayr liked this post
  5. Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

TFO offers a rod performance matrix. The BVK is the best for presentation, but the least for lifting. I have known quite a few people who love their BVK's, but are really glad for the lifetime guarantee, because they have broken at least one rod, occasionally two. Bob Clouser was known for his smallmouth fishing so the Clouser would certainly be good for smallmouth. The Mangrove was designed for strong fish and has by far the best lifting power, with presentation being only slightly less than the BVK. If I am going to be targeting big carp I want the rod with the best lifting power, as long as it still offers good presentation. My preference would be for the Mangrove.

Larry

6. Likes jayr, clouserguyky liked this post

Jayr -

I'm in Knoxville and fish those rivers (and lakes when the flows arent right on the rivers) for carp - heavily. I use anything from a 6-8wt, but a 7wt is my go to warmwater setup. Throw the Echo Ion XL if you get a chance... I have one in 7wt, a BVK in 8wt, and a number of other rods, and the Ion XL is a damn good rod. In my opinion, unless you want to get into the $400 range, this one is hard to beat for $160. It's not going to be as fast as the BVK, but i think it has a bit better feel; i'd call it med-fast.

Also, I was once primarily a trout guy too... but now i just fish the Clinch in the winter to kill time until warm water fishing turns back on.

Check LRO web site Bryon recommended BVK first and number two Pro2 in 7wt. for smallmouth bass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12