Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 35 of 35
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Hudsonville, Michigan
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

    jr-agreed 200 yards is excessive but I'd rather have more then enough then too little, in fishing still water probably rarely necessary. Fishing rivers for carp with a heavy current and you are wading, that's when things can get a bit interesting. Typically my rig is a 7wt with a Hatch 5+, but in heavier water I prefer my 8wt with a Hatch 7+, just a bit beefier outfit. My tippits range from 8# flouro to 15# Maxima ultragreen.

    Smallmouth, the backing is not really necessary with rare exceptions.

    Denny

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN/Green River, KY
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

    Quote Originally Posted by jspfishing View Post
    Sorry, little late to the thread. I was about to recommend the TFO Mangrove, but looks like you're good to go. Its a great choice and great weight. I casted it and its a monster of a rod. Plus, I met a few of Bob Popovics friends and they praised the Mangrove for bluefish and striper in NJ. I forgot, where are you at in VA?
    I'm in South Boston. I can get to the GWNF in about 2 hours for trout. I can get to several places on the James in less that that, the reason for my wanting to fish for smallmouth. Plus, home in east TN has several excellent smallmouth rivers. I also go up to SNP for trout but it's about 3 hours, not too bad.
    Mainline the blueline

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    236

    Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

    Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    jr-agreed 200 yards is excessive but I'd rather have more then enough then too little, in fishing still water probably rarely necessary. Fishing rivers for carp with a heavy current and you are wading, that's when things can get a bit interesting. Typically my rig is a 7wt with a Hatch 5+, but in heavier water I prefer my 8wt with a Hatch 7+, just a bit beefier outfit. My tippits range from 8# flouro to 15# Maxima ultragreen.

    Smallmouth, the backing is not really necessary with rare exceptions.


    Denny
    I thought about this again late last night. Another thing that's different for me is that I use more drag than most guys. Saltwater guides I fish with invariably tell me I use more drag than just about any other experienced fisherman they host in their boat. Having 3# to 3 1/2# of drag on a carp rig will mean the fish will run a considerably less distance than if the drag were set at 1# or less. Most SW guides tell me the majority of anglers in their boat set the minimum drag necessary to prevent overrun, even for species like tarpon. I've never done that. I'm 3# to a little over for bonefish (and carp) to 5# for tarpon and more like 6# for sailfish and spinner sharks. Of course, carp is about the only freshwater species (well, maybe king salmon) where I even use a drag reel. But, darn it, if you're going to spend the money to buy a reel with a terrific drag, why not use it? Five or six pounds of drag may not sound like much to anyone who's never measured it, but five pounds is close to the point where it is difficult to strip line off the reel. Do some testing with a quality scale, like a Chatillon, and many people will be surprised at what 3# or 5# actually feels like. On another forum a guy talked about setting fifteen pounds of drag for tarpon. I asked him what reel he was using, and it turned out that the maximum drag on that reel was about 6#.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    187

    Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

    Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    I'm in South Boston. I can get to the GWNF in about 2 hours for trout. I can get to several places on the James in less that that, the reason for my wanting to fish for smallmouth. Plus, home in east TN has several excellent smallmouth rivers. I also go up to SNP for trout but it's about 3 hours, not too bad.
    Oh..is there musky in the James by you? Later this year I want to get a 12wt and head west to the New River or the James there

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, TN/Green River, KY
    Posts
    822

    Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

    Quote Originally Posted by jspfishing View Post
    Oh..is there musky in the James by you? Later this year I want to get a 12wt and head west to the New River or the James there
    My understanding is that the muskies are above Lynchburg.

    SoBo is a little more than an hour away from Lynchburg. It's not a bad drive except for it being almost all two lane. Getting around in south central VA is not very easy. About the only decent highway is US 29 and even it has its moments.
    Mainline the blueline

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2017, 09:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2017, 05:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 05:40 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2017, 09:00 PM
  5. Very simple Smallmouth and carp fly.
    By mryan2176 in forum Flies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •