Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

Looking for a good rod for the two. Do not want to exceed $300 for the rod.

So far I have had recommended:

TFO Clouser
    TFO BVK
    TFO Mangrove

Looking at a 9' 7 weight, should that be okay?
    Mainline the blueline

Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

That should be fine and any one of those three rods should work for you. Understand that there's a world of difference between fishing for smallies in a large reservoir and doing so in a small, intimate creek. The same can be said for carp in a river and carp on the flats in Lake Michigan. However, any of those three rods should at least be adequate for what you'll likely use it for. If I had to make a choice I'd choose the BVK.

Interested in a Sage Xi3 690. Perfect condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place or places you intend to fish or descriptions of waters would help with weight.
    TFO rods, you won't get better for the money. Though before the 3 models mentioned think I would go with the TiCrx. Reason being carp can be much larger. And the TiCrx while being a rocket launcher. Has a heavier butt section than other rods mentioned. Imo, more of a fish fighter rod than others mentioned.
    As for rod weight. A 7w is overkill for smallies. Even in river rapids a 6w will make short work of a smallie if in the hands of a competant angler. And will take large carp. BUT fish has to be played with butt section & reel. Start tip steering and chances are good tip will break. Broke 2 yrs back in PA. just so. After learning curve took couple bigger than what rods broke on. I also saw carp large enough to keep me from casting a fly at them.
    Never used more than a 6w in fresh water. Mostly Susquehanna & Delaware rivers. After a short time left 40 lb carp & log sized muskies alone.
    You might want to go with something that suites whichever fish you favor & deal with it otherwise.

........ pc

5. Default Re: Smallmouth/Carp fly rod?

I appreciate pnc's points, but I respectfully disagree about the ticrx. A 6 weight ticrx is more like a 7.5 weight rod in my experience. It would definitely have the backbone for carp, but it would struggle with presentations within 30' that are so common for carp with a 6 weight line. Youd have to upline in and then you're just fishing a 7 weight anyways. You're right that a 6 weight can handle both species and I use a 6 for them a lot, but if you want one rod to cover both species well, the 7 weight will cover more ground by tossing bigger flies and having the guts to steer a hot carp away from a wood pile, and will be a bit more versatile as an all arounder for both species. You know which one is my pick, jayr! I like the Mangrove because it presents well in close but can still make longer casts when needed, and definitely has the strength to wrestle a big carp. The BVK is good here too for longer casts, but my 6 weight needs a 7 weight line to really load enough on short casts to fish well for carp. I use a 6 weight on mine to maximize the distance presentations though.

I can't speak highly enough of the Mangrove 7 weight for the purposes jayr needs, but I agree that any of the rods mentioned would indeed get the job done. Go cast them if you can! Little River Outfitters might have them or be able to get them in for you to try, or surely somewhere around Knoxville has them.

6. Likes jayr liked this post

As a follow up.

I appreciate all of the responses. The main rivers I intend to fish for smallmouth are the Holston and French Broad back home in TN. Right now, for work I am living in South Boston, VA and the James is not terribly far away either. Unfortunately I am home about once a month and this area up here is pretty much devoid of fly shops unless one makes a pretty good drive, so casting one prior to purchase is iffy at best.

For carp, back home on some lakes and rivers the carp fishing is very good. I have been a couple of times with a friend who does it and to say it's not as easy as it sounds is an understatement. There is much more to catching carp on a fly rod, more than I ever would have thought.

My true passion is trout, but with the added opportunities of smallmouth and carp, I want to broaden my ability to fish one when the weather/conditions are not prime for the other.

I would add that for the most part I intend to wade for smallmouth and do carp out of a boat. Although, fishing for smallmouth out of a boat is a possibility.

Thanks all for the advice!
    Mainline the blueline

I'd agree the TiCRx is a pretty fast rod. A 7/8 weight outfit seems like a reasonable compromise for both species- a little heavy for the carp around here and able to send poppers and all but the biggest, sloppiest articulated streamers where I want them. Of the rods you mention, I really like the BVK- but your mileage may vary.

I would add a look at redingtons predator 7'11" 8 wt they make a 9' as well( I think a 6 is made too)
    Its my go to for carp, but works well for bass/pike, its very accurate for me from my boat for carp on top. Usually lay it out there waiting to see where they are feeding, pick it up quick shot in front of them.
    Inexpensive rod too
    Last edited by lonm; 01-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.

Echo 3s 7 Wt. You can find one under $300 at Fly Rod Sale - Roy's Bait and Tackle Outfitters. It can hold it's own against top end rods.

11. Likes cameron1976 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Trident Fly has a try before you buy program and they have excellent service. Check them out.

13. Likes clouserguyky liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast