Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Any Fellow Texans on here?

Weatherford here. New to Texas fishing but have been out with a tournament fisher friend on his crazy fast bass boat with my fly gear. Definitely a new experience and lots of fun. I live on the Brazos and have been throwing a line in whenever I can get away for an hour but it's been super muddy from the recent rains and I've gotten nothing but casting practice so far. Severely tempted to grab a Craigslist kayak for when it warms up, and a road trip to Cotter, Arkansas is on my list, too. Those guided float trips look incredible.

HD

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Howdy from East Texas...a newbie to this forum but fly fisherman for most all of my life. We have excellent striped bass fly fishing at times at Texoma...and even on my home lake Livingston but heavy rains have washed that out recently. You don't want to miss the late winter/early spring white bass run....tons of fun on the fly like this one from the Sabine River.

Texas is a hugely understated fly fishing place which is ironic since everything else is bigger in Texas, LOL, but its a great fly fishing state.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

4. Likes karstopo, Joey Bagels liked this post
  5. Default Re: Any Fellow Texans on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Howdy from East Texas...a newbie to this forum but fly fisherman for most all of my life. We have excellent striped bass fly fishing at times at Texoma...and even on my home lake Livingston but heavy rains have washed that out recently. You don't want to miss the late winter/early spring white bass run....tons of fun on the fly like this one from the Sabine River.

Texas is a hugely understated fly fishing place which is ironic since everything else is bigger in Texas, LOL, but its a great fly fishing state.
    You've got some great water out there in East Texas! I have also wanted to fish some of your well respected small water, such as Winnsboro, Holbrook, Pinkston, Timpson, etc. - I like fly fishing smaller bodies of water. Here in Fort Worth we have some small water here and there, but your neck of the woods is some pretty good warm water fishing.

Blog Entries

My county in Texas is about 20% larger than the whole state of Rhode Island and Brazoria County isn’t a particularily large county by Texas standards. And that’s nothing against lovely Rhode Island, I once lived a stone’s throw from Cumberland, RI in nearby Franklin, MA. Texas is just freaking big.

The point is that it would be tough to fish every part of Texas being that it is so large, with all the public reservoirs, rivers and creeks, not to mention the tidal waters. I have a hard time breaking away from all the public salt water around my home. I see stuff all of the time on Google Earth in my county and think “why haven’t I been there?”.

Fly fishing definitely works in the limited parts of Texas I’ve been in and across a number of different fish, fresh and saltwater. When I grew up in the 1970s along the coast, the idea was one had to go away to the mountains someplace to fly fish. I grew up on an oxbow lake and my dad had a Berkeley parametric with some poppers he never used for bass, but no one I knew really did that for bass. Bass fishing then was plastic worms, spinners, and plugs using baitcasting gear. That’s how it was done where I lived. I couldn’t then make the mental leap to fly fishing for LMB and the other fish in the lake.

I’m now back on that same lake using fly tackle and catching better bass than I ever did with plugs and catching things I never much did way back when, at least with lures, like catfish and carp and crappie.

It’s almost like I felt duped and why is it no one said anything more about fly fishing sooner and how fun and effective it is, but then again, back then no one I knew around here really did it.

Forums like this one really opened my eyes to the fact that people do fly fish in Texas and it is fun here and it’s not just for cold water trout, but across so many fish and types of water.

People, I speak mostly for myself, put themselves in their own little boxes or prisons of thought of what can and can’t be done.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

7. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by indy View Post
    You've got some great water out there in East Texas! ...
    Very true. Caddo, Lake Nacogdoches, Naconiche, Raven, Houston County, and Athens are all small water bodies that offer great fly fishing and are little known outside this area.

For me, I specialize in private waters having built and managed 5 small ponds with a total of about 8 acres under water. Last year was proud to submit 6 LMB over 8 pounds to the new Texas share a lunker program but the fish I prize most on the fly rod from my ponds is the copper nosed bluegill. Great fighting fish and aggressive to all kinds of flies.

I wasn't born in Texas but got here as fast as I could.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

9. Likes karstopo, mikew1959 liked this post
  10. Default Re: Any Fellow Texans on here?

Wow, that's some fine (incredible, actually) sized LMB! Also, that's also a great looking fish, I've never seen a copper nosed bluegill! I love fly fishing for bream!

I made more of an effort to fish for them this year and had a blast, especially in the Spring and early Summer, catching consistently larger fish than I did when I really didn't try!

Here in DFW all we have (for the most part) are large reservoirs and I prefer a bit smaller water.I have a list of a few lakes out your way on my list, and hope to fish some this coming year. Athens in on the list, and then I've heard that Winnsboro is pretty good, and Quitman and Holman. I've also heard that Pinkston is good for bream fishing, and then Lake Gilmer I have heard is very good. We camp in Caddo State Park each Fall and I really enjoy fly fishing the water there. I'll add your lakes to my list!

I do get to fish a little private water, a couple of ponds near Huntsville and that is probably the most fun I have fishing. Both have good sized bass and healthy bream populations. I also get to fish a nice section of a creek in an adjacent county and really enjoy the sight fishing it offers.

Texas ain't the Rockies, but it does offer some pretty decent fly fishing. When I pair these fish up with my glass rods, it all adds up to a great time.

11. Default Re: Any Fellow Texans on here?

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    My county in Texas is about 20% larger than the whole state of Rhode Island and Brazoria County isn’t a particularily large county by Texas standards. And that’s nothing against lovely Rhode Island, I once lived a stone’s throw from Cumberland, RI in nearby Franklin, MA. Texas is just freaking big.

The point is that it would be tough to fish every part of Texas being that it is so large, with all the public reservoirs, rivers and creeks, not to mention the tidal waters. I have a hard time breaking away from all the public salt water around my home. I see stuff all of the time on Google Earth in my county and think “why haven’t I been there?”.

Fly fishing definitely works in the limited parts of Texas I’ve been in and across a number of different fish, fresh and saltwater. When I grew up in the 1970s along the coast, the idea was one had to go away to the mountains someplace to fly fish. I grew up on an oxbow lake and my dad had a Berkeley parametric with some poppers he never used for bass, but no one I knew really did that for bass. Bass fishing then was plastic worms, spinners, and plugs using baitcasting gear. That’s how it was done where I lived. I couldn’t then make the mental leap to fly fishing for LMB and the other fish in the lake.

I’m now back on that same lake using fly tackle and catching better bass than I ever did with plugs and catching things I never much did way back when, at least with lures, like catfish and carp and crappie.

It’s almost like I felt duped and why is it no one said anything more about fly fishing sooner and how fun and effective it is, but then again, back then no one I knew around here really did it.

Forums like this one really opened my eyes to the fact that people do fly fish in Texas and it is fun here and it’s not just for cold water trout, but across so many fish and types of water.

People, I speak mostly for myself, put themselves in their own little boxes or prisons of thought of what can and can’t be done.
    I agree 100% - yep, I love to trout fish, but my schedule always gets in the way. Somehow, somewhere along the way in my fly fishing journey, I discovered the very therapeutic pursuit of "lazy" warm-water fishing in Texas waters (and a little salt too). The fly rod just adds to the leisure for me, and slipping out early, or late, in the day and tossing flies with one of my favorite glass rods (and catching some fish, if only a few) is hard to beat! Bumping around in the jon boat with some good canine company, combined with the pace and rhythm of the rod, make it a great pleasure.

Box? I think I was in a performance box - get out the worms, lizards and bait casting reel and hit it hard. Sounds like for you it's been a huge win, as you're catching better fish and loving it. Since going "lazy" I'm not sure I'm catching any bigger fish, and perhaps only smaller fish consistently, but the entire fishing trip is now a pleasant memory, not just the lunker highlights of the day. I anticipate these little outings with as much zeal as I ever did my cold water escapades! It's been a great discovery!

12. Likes karstopo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by skcwolfgang View Post
    The Colorado river near Bastrop is a great fishery with Guadalupe bass. I did a float trip once. You can rent a kayak there also.
    I was just down there for a month. The river was upside down. It took a few weeks for it to calm down.

I am right on the coast near Galveston but only fly fish in fresh water. I fish Hall's Bayou a small bayou near me, but most of my fishing is on Canyon Lake as my mother in law lives there and I keep my boat at her place. I do not fish the Guadalupe River just the lake. Good luck

15. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 7tcu View Post
    I am right on the coast near Galveston but only fly fish in fresh water. I fish Hall's Bayou a small bayou near me, but most of my fishing is on Canyon Lake as my mother in law lives there and I keep my boat at her place. I do not fish the Guadalupe River just the lake. Good luck
    I would think Hall’s bayou would be a mix of saltwater and freshwater fish. Most of it is below 2004, the State’s fresh/saltwater boundary. I bet you run into redfish once in a while. I’ve fished nearby Austin Bayou above 2004 and caught redfish and ladyfish, plus lots of gar.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123