Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: carpin

1. Default Re: carpin

Ok Guys,

This Capt. Mark Boname owner of the Platte River Fly Shop. I've been fly fishing for carp for over 20 years.

I just posted an article on my website to help you guys.

Go to How to Catch Carp On a Fly

Good Luck,
    Capt. Mark

2. Default Re: carpin

Been a long time since I started fly fishing Carp. Started in my teens and still doing it. Thought I throw up some pics of the Carp we have in Manitoba. They are a blast. Enjoy.

3. Default Re: carpin

Quote Originally Posted by darkcahill View Post
    been a long time since i started fly fishing carp. Started in my teens and still doing it. Thought i throw up some pics of the carp we have in manitoba. They are a blast. Enjoy.

nice!!!!!!

Default Re: carpin

Quote Originally Posted by platterat View Post
    Ok Guys,

This Capt. Mark Boname owner of the Platte River Fly Shop. I've been fly fishing for carp for over 20 years.

I just posted an article on my website to help you guys.

Go to How to Catch Carp On a Fly

Good Luck,
    Capt. Mark
    Thanks for the article and welcome to the group!

Any tips on hooking up with Redhorse Suckers? My local rivers are silly with them.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

5. Default Re: carpin

i also want to hit up some carp this summer. the march 2009 in-fisherman has a fantastic article on carp fly fishing!

6. Default Re: carpin

While I prefer a 7wt, I've gotten them on my 5wt often and even a couple on the 4wt.

With the 4-5 wts I use a straight piece of 8# mono, with the 7wt 15# test (I don't exactly coddle them!)

The flies already mentioned are all good, depending on where in the water column the fish activity is.

I find them much more energetic in the summer, now or right at ice out they are fairly lethargic.
    Better a Dragonrider than the Dragon's slave.

7. Default Re: carpin

Cliff if you think Carp are finicky the Suckers are worse. I've had my best success with Midge pupa patterns and everyonce in a whils a Caddis emerger will work.

I've found the exact same to be true. Not sure if they just won't eat the stuff that's large and heavy enough for me to get down to them in current, or if they see me long before I see them and develop lockjaw. One of these seems to be true though.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Reading this post just restored part of my sanity. I fish mostly saltwater but this past summer we spent a week at Rocking Horse ranch in upstate NY. I spent the week catching largemouth with my 5WT. It drove me crazy to watch kids feed bread to huge, 10-15lb Carp but they wouldn't take anything I threw at them!!! I just about lost my mind, reading this post I now understand why.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

10. Default Re: carpin

just wondering, does anyone know the laws about chumming in wisconsin??? i know that it IS illegal to chum with fish parts...but idk about corn or other organic material. any help would be great!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123