Personal Best LMB

karstopo

Reaction score
Fished hard yesterday and caught a lot of fish on the deer hair diver, but I’m not sure any cracked 2 pounds. Go out on the dock after a thunderstorm today and land this 8 pound bass on a olive deer hair diver tied Saturday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Yeah, well, I got to sit in commuter traffic and then a bunch of meetings and then more traffic...so... you know...sit on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
Funny thing is my daughter caught a 9 pound fish less than a week ago in same lake 200 hundred yards away on a pink bubble gum worm. She walks out of the house just as I have this fish on. She says “looks like you have a good fish on”. I say grab the net, it’s in the boat. She does. Fish never jumps. It goes deep, it’s like 7 or 8 feet deep 15 feet off the dock and gets around a submerged branch. I get that worked out and then it comes under the dock. She’s about to grab the line and I wave her off. A few moments of drama and it’s out from under the structure. She gets the net under it.

Hook wasn’t even past the barb. It it’s loose in the jaw. Crazy.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Funny thing is my daughter caught a 9 pound fish less than a week ago in same lake 200 hundred yards away on a pink bubble gum worm. She walks out of the house just as I have this fish on. She says “looks like you have a good fish on”. I say grab the net, it’s in the boat. She does. Fish never jumps. It goes deep, it’s like 7 or 8 feet deep 15 feet off the dock and gets around a submerged branch. I get that worked out and then it comes under the dock. She’s about to grab the line and I wave her off. A few moments of drama and it’s out from under the structure. She gets the net under it.

Hook wasn’t even past the barb. It it’s loose in the jaw. Crazy.
Some of us hate you for living in the south lol, A 9# fish is getting really close to a state record in a lot of the northern states. When we catch one much over 5# we wonder if it will be the biggest for the rest of our life. :)

karstopo

Reaction score
Some of us hate you for living in the south lol, A 9# fish is getting really close to a state record in a lot of the northern states. When we catch one much over 5# we wonder if it will be the biggest for the rest of our life. :)
This lake is a natural oxbow formed in some prehistoric flood diverted a river, probably the Brazos, and left behind a 77 acre cut off lake. Once, it was all local strain Largemouth bass and I think the state record prior to the introduction of Florida Strain Largemouth was around 7.5 pounds.

Years ago, states, including Texas, have introduced the Florida strain fish and the weights have skyrocketed. This particular lake gets a decent amount of attention on management and one recent study indicated a population of 70 percent of the Largemouth bass having Florida genetics.

I don’t know if the Florida strain fish are in Iowa. They’ve been stocked all over the south. It’s apples to oranges, Florida strain versus native. I can’t tell the difference by looking. There’s probably precious few waters with all original fish.

I Hate to say it, but getting a really good LMB was a bit of a monkey on my back. When your daughter, your good friend, the kid down the lake catch better fish in the same water it works on the brain, mine anyways. I don’t care if they weren’t using flies. Shame on me, I’m only human.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Don't know why we allow these minnow and a bobber guys to post pics! :D

Congratulations, very nice fish. Was the take on the drop or during retrieve?

Dave

mka

Reaction score
Yep, that's a hawg!!!! Congrats on a great catch...love it that you caught it on a CGR glass fly rod:)