10wt rods for Musky 2 rods I am thinking about.

nah85

Reaction score
I currently can get either:

TFO Mini Mag

Echo Ion XL

for about $120.

I am mostly a trout/bass guy so will occasionally be on the water for musky. I have never fished for them.

I am open to other options but I am on a budget, as far as I know the minimag is shorter and just a tad lighter but both rods are powerful.

Mostly on the Shenandoah and James. I would like to possibly use this in the salt too?

jr spey

Reaction score
I currently can get either:

TFO Mini Mag

Echo Ion XL

for about $120.

I am mostly a trout/bass guy so will occasionally be on the water for musky. I have never fished for them.

I am open to other options but I am on a budget, as far as I know the minimag is shorter and just a tad lighter but both rods are powerful.

Mostly on the Shenandoah and James. I would like to possibly use this in the salt too?
Those are good choices. The heavier MiniMag (the 400gr one) is one of my favorite rods. Truthfully, the Ion XL is OK, too, but the original Ion is even better for musky, though slightly heavier. Other than buying used, you won't find anything worthwhile at a much lower price. The MiniMag is on closeout (and that's a shame) that's why the low price. Do a SEARCH here as there have been several thorough discussions of musky rods and lines over the past few months.

nah85

Reaction score
I did do a search and most of what I found were out of my budget, I typed in mini mag, got a lot of results with "mini" ha.

I found one of your post talking about a small company's rod but it's out of my price range. How is the minimag heavier when the listed weigh says its lighter than the Ion?

jr spey

Reaction score
I did do a search and most of what I found were out of my budget, I typed in mini mag, got a lot of results with "mini" ha.

I found one of your post talking about a small company's rod but it's out of my price range. How is the minimag heavier when the listed weigh says its lighter than the Ion?
Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your question. "Heavier than what?" I think if you re-read my post I'm talking about the original Ion being heavier than the Ion XL and I'm referring to actual physical weight of the rod.

flyromper

Reaction score
I have the 400 grain mini mag and it is a canon. Right now i'm using it with a 375 grain full sink for big bass, but I plan to use it as a musky rod in the future. I've only cast 6-7" flies so far, and it feels like I am just casting the line with nothing tied on. Great rod IMO. Wish I would have bought another as a backup.