An hour to kill at Amistad

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Work brought me to the beautiful, though desolate expanses of West Texas around Del Rio. If you’ve seen “No Country for Old Men,” you’ve seen this place.

Friendly locals too.

Per the usual, I brought along some fly gear for when the business is done. So this morning, after gathering up my stuff out of the hotel room, I made a side trek to Amistad before starting the 4.5 hour drive home.

The water is nice and high. With minimal time, I wanted to find some nice rocky points to throw flies from. This bay was fishy looking, but I kept looking around.

Aaaahhhhh that’ll do.
First cast:

As everybody and their dog knows, first cast fish are harbingers of evil and bad luck. In grid case, that manifested as not another fish, but plenty of break offs on rocks for the next hour. So with a new resolve to come back soon and spend some quality time on this legendary fishery, I loaded my gear and began the drive home. I’m now in somewhere west of San Antonio, finishing lunch and preparing to continue the long drive home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
Good movie and better book, That “No Country for Old Men”. Anton Chigurh was definitely not of the friendly sort.

That’s some clear water, I wonder if one of your float tubes would be good there? That bass looks hungry. I hope you get back there soon, it looks like an interesting place to fish.

fr8dog

Reaction score
Spent almost 6 years in Del Rio. Loved it. Ran all over that pond. Know most of it and when I was there it was almost always full.

Is that off 277?

trs

Reaction score
Nice area, used to visit regularly, when I lived south of corpus

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Just got home. The spot is actually just off 90 at the recreation area. I brought a float tube along, but didn’t feel like inflating it and then having to pack it back up all wet afterward so I just hoofed it. But next time.....that’s a whole other ball of wax! I’ll be tying up some weedless Bass flies in the coming days. That’s for sure.

fr8dog

Reaction score
Last time I was down there it was dry under the 277 bridge. Maybe 60' low? Back in the day I would put in at the AF marina, run east to the 277 bridge for an hour or so. Then make the run back to Zorro for the rest of the day. Up the Devil's River past Rough Canyon is beautiful.

They would let campers park free for 2 weeks at 277 or 454. Folks would pull in and work deals with the other site. Just trade spots and stay all winter for nothing.

Big stripers in the fall. Fun lake. I could go out all day and not see another boat if I went west. Got caught a few times and had to tuck into coves due to the wind. A strong SE blow makes it dangerous in the narrow area between the main lake and marker 17. Beautiful lake. I miss the hell out of it.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Not dry today! Two years ago, I went by and saw it was well down. Now I’m planning my next trip, might even bring the boat in the fall. I’m completely infatuated with the place!