Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default New smallmouth setup, advice please

Hello all, i am getting a whole new set up for smallmouth (rod, reel, and line) and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

I've been fishing for smallmouth once and although i loved it, i haven't had a chance to make it back in a while. Well now i'm gonna get serious about it so what would y'all recommend.

I figured a good 6wt. rod or so but i'm not totally sure. Thanks for any advice.
    Craig Lancaster
    Statesville, NC

www.backpackingangler.com

2. Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

Well, I'm sure more experienced people will be here soon, but I'll get the ball rolling.

I've got a 7wt for smallmouths, but I've always felt like it was overkill (it was just the rod the guy at the sporting goods store recommended my dad give me as a gift when I was in high school). I've become accustomed to it and haven't switched, but I feel like a 6wt might have been a better choice, and would probably be more versatile. (This is also partly because what I have is an older, heavy rod.)

That said, it depends in part on the size of fish you'll be tackling. Where I grew up, we didn't get into many big smallies. Where I live now, I haven't gotten into the big ones on the fly rod, but based on some I've caught, I don't think I'd mind the extra muscle.

3. Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

Hi,

I use the same set up for smallies as I do for trout.

Sage FLI #5 w/ #6 line
    Almost any #5 or #6 reel will work.
    Flies are the same as for trout (I use mainly nymphs and streamers for both)
    Techniques the same for both.

I think that smallies are great practice for trout.

Steve

4. Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

I would honestly purchase an 8'6" 5wt and use a WF6F Headstart or Orvis Clearwater (forward based weight) on it. I would think that would suffice for any smallmouth you will encounter. For the rod, do not get an Orvis, as the 5wt is a true 4, but that is another topic for another time. I would grab a St Croix Avid or Sage Fli 8'6 5wt and be happy!

Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

Quote Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
    ...For the rod, do not get an Orvis, as the 5wt is a true 4, but that is another topic for another time...
    Now I'm curious flyflinger- any particular model Orvis or all of them? I was just looking into the clearwater II, although I have no business buying another rod.

mtnman,
    I happen to love a 6wt rod, but I think you'll have more fun with a 4 or 5 wt in the end.

Oops- double post. Sorry.

7. Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

All Orvis rods are rated for a WF line. Most other rods, Sage, TFO, Redington, etc are all rated for a DT. This is part of why on longer casts, the SUPERDUPERFASTACTIONCASTAMILE rods are so fast. If you used the DT line, the extra weight would kill the rods on the longer casts (over 50') If you get a 5wt Orvis, it is a 4/5, whereas a 5wt Sage is a 5/6. Making sense?

8. Default Re: New smallmouth setup, advice please

Randy,

That makes a lot of sense to me. I've got a FLi, a CPS, a couple Clearwater II's and five St Croixs!
    Even if Orvis is rated wrong.......... I still like them the best!! They are the lightest rods, and my fav for fishing.
    And I like Sharkskin the best!! I read all the reviews, and I must admit that I'm a strange, stubborn guy!!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
    "I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
    "I used to care, but things have changed"
    - Dylan

Smallmouth set-ups are a personal choice; that being said, my set-up on my most used combination is my 8'6" 5/6wt. Line is a weight forward AirFlo. I fish mainly streamers for sub-surface fishing, and small foam poppers and large spider type flies for most of my surface fishing.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by flyflingerandy View Post
    All Orvis rods are rated for a WF line. Most other rods, Sage, TFO, Redington, etc are all rated for a DT. This is part of why on longer casts, the SUPERDUPERFASTACTIONCASTAMILE rods are so fast. If you used the DT line, the extra weight would kill the rods on the longer casts (over 50') If you get a 5wt Orvis, it is a 4/5, whereas a 5wt Sage is a 5/6. Making sense?
    Thanks. Makes sense. Didn't know this. Good info.

This means my 2wt superfine is really a 1/2 wt? Sweet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast