Meaty weighed fly for bass??

rando

Reaction score
Hello,

I was not sure whether to post it in tying section or here, but figured since it is a question pertaining to warmwater fishing I will do it here.

I am looking for suggestion for some really meaty, weighed (preferably riding hook up) fly to bounce of the bottom in around 3-5 feet of water in moderately fast current.
I have some crawfish and leech imitation I use and am successful with, but if I were to compare them to human food they would be mcdonalds cheesburgers from kids menu. Drawing from that comparison, I want to tie something equivelant to an oversized steakhouse burger.

Thanks for suggestions.

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Try a large sculpin fly.They will swim point up and great for bottom bouncing.
I tie a pretty meaty articulated fly and i am sure you could tie the eyes on top of the hook to make them swim point up but not sure how they would do for bouncing the bottom.

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I'll second the Sculpin pattern suggestion. Does exactly what you want it to do.

Bass Flies2.jpg

But I'll also add in a Craw pattern:

20180317_185301.jpg

Both work:

Bass Flies.jpg
Bass FLies3.jpg

Both are relatively easy to tie and are super effective. Sculpin is better in moving water (but find in still) and the Craw pattern works best in slower water.

rando

Reaction score
Yea i like the sculpin pattern in the pic. Only sculpin pattern i have been tying is nearnuff sculpin which is pretty sparse.
Thanks.

jjc155

Reaction score
Look up Schultzy's red eye leech, S3 sculpin and Single Fly Cray patterns. All killer for dredging.

J-

philly

Reaction score
This isn't a weighted fly, and it doesn't ride hook, though it could be tied that way. If you're fishing in three to five feet of water it should work.. An updated version of a Calcasieu Pig Boat.

P3130141.jpg

bigjim5589

Reaction score
One of the problems with big flies, often they also end up bulky & hard to cast. Add weight & you compound that problem. I like big flies for bass, and tie with fur strips a lot. They get heavy when wet, so a heavier rod, like a 10 wt., is better for casting them. Some I tie are 8" long.

I also still use older styles, like Deceivers & of course Clouser Minnows. They can be tied large, and size is only limited by the materials used.

Check out some of Henry Cowen's flies. Henry fishes for bass & Striped Bass, and the same flies will take both. Look at his "Coyote" fly.

This fly is about 7" long on a 2/0 hook. The hair used is coyote tail & fox tail with a bar dyed rabbit strip tail.
100_6709.jpg

This is my variation of a Murdich Minnow. They're 6" to 7" long and very light. All synthetic materials used. Good fly for off color water, but I've caught plenty of fish on them in clearer water too.
100_4584.JPG

rando

Reaction score
Thanks all for suggestions.
I tie a lot of murdrich minnows but mine are more traditional. What do you use for head on yours bigjim?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Those were made with Liquid Fusion I think. The flies in the pic were tied for a swap, and it's been several years ago, so not sure what I used. The eyes were glued to clear plastic that I had cut and left a tab, and tied in place, then the entire head & eyes coated. The material I used for the head/body is Hackle Flash. The tail is a combination of Polar Flash, Krystal Flash and a synthetic fiber that again, I'm not sure what I used. I think it may have been some that is sold by the Fly Tyers Dungeon. Congo Hair I think. There are a number of similar materials that would work.

wf0

Reaction score
if you want something meaty, why not go with Barr's Meat Whistle? Great for bass - very crawfish jiggy - in medium depth waters. Just don't do a google search for it. Otherwise I like a natural rabbit zonker tied clouser style with black barbell eyes.