3 weighting it for gill/bass!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
gonna hit the vermilion river up tomorrow with my 3wt bitch creek combo from forum fly shop the full creel! I got a size 16 or 18 peacock headed green midge tubing bodied midge tied on that i made up. never tried anything this small before. will see if it works! if not I will adjust! I will take my camera also. we got a lil rain so I will see how the v looks. heard reports of the steelheads coming in also but i doubt i will see any yet. they are closer to lake erie break walls now. imagine a 8 pound steelie on a 3wt with 5x tippet haha. keep ya posted.

Attachments

flyflingerandy

Reaction score
You can throw size 8-10 streamers on that three weight! That is all I fish on my 3. I refuse to fish tiny dries on it. I will use a 1 or 2 weight for that, but the three caught me a small carp this past weekend on a #10 bugger variant. Don't resign yourself to only throwing those tiny little flies on that rod. Enjoy!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi GeorgeMcFly,

That is a nice looking fly. You are really coming along with your tying.

I have missed you posting lately. Hope you are doing well. We had a recent question about Steelhead in your area and I was hoping you would help them out.

Frank

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
ya I haven't been on lately but steelhead are about to be on there way back so I will start tying and posting more now. the river was so low there wasn't much fishign for me. we got some rain a few days ago and I went out today. heres some pix. I got a chub on the midge I made then switched to a brown bugger and got 2 small smallmouths and 3 rock bass. heres a few pix

Attachments

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
You can throw size 8-10 streamers on that three weight! That is all I fish on my 3. I refuse to fish tiny dries on it. I will use a 1 or 2 weight for that, but the three caught me a small carp this past weekend on a #10 bugger variant. Don't resign yourself to only throwing those tiny little flies on that rod. Enjoy!
ya man I just wanted to try it out seeing as I never tried a fly that small before. wanted to see if somethign would actually bite it.. I remember someone telling me not to use a size 8 or 10 fly that it was too big on a 3wt and it wouldn't cast for crap. but I used a size 10 brown beadhead bugger today and I was casting it all the way across the river! I am a streamer person myself. I love me some clousers and buggers. thanks man.

flyflingerandy

Reaction score
That is all I fish on a 3wt are streamers. I have not tied on a popper or foam bug in months. I am excited to get my 2wt to throw a #12 streamer I tie.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I bought a few poppers that look like bees and I never had luck on um the 2 times I used um so I switched around and found what works. I am a person that will give something a chance but if it don't work out in a half hour I am moving on. lol. the midge I tied. I just moved on after 1 chub in a half hour. the basic flies I know that work around here are

streamers clouser minnows in (olive/white red/white chartruse/white brown/orange) beadhead buggers in (black)and (brown)
Nymphs hares ears in natural and olive. pheasent tails.copper johns
Dry Flies adams fly, royal wulffs etc.
also try Daves Hoppers and foam spiders and other terrestrials.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Cool! I've ben spending most of the past two weeks fishing the Neshaminy
Creek (1 mile from my house), going after gills and smallmouth with my
7'6" 4wt. I use mainly #10 WB's, and #10 and #14 Green Weenies. The bluegill and pumpkinseed in that creek are exceptional fighters, and I've been
having a ball!

Great Pics!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

I can see that the water has came up for you Matt, Tiny wet flies work any where but they really come into their own on tail waters. Your fly should work good on Bluegills.

Frank, I wish I had a creek just a mile away.:(

Frank