Bluegills in the fall

goshawk87

Reaction score
I am looking at taking a class I am teach this fall out to target some bluegills in a local stillwater. I plan to do some scouting at the specific water, but I wanted to get some feed back here. I realize that bluegill are known as easy to catch, but what are your favorite, must have, bluegill flies?

kentuckysteve

Reaction score
Fall is a great time to fish for panfish and a great time to catch the larger ones.If the weather is still warm i like small poppers or sneaky petes early in the morning.Fish these around brush piles or a fallen tree extending into the water or any type of cover.A McGinty bee fly is one of my favorites and soft hackle flies do great.If the weather is cooler the bluegills will be a little deeper but still like to be around cover.I like using beadhead flies to get down to them.Beadhead soft hackles,brassies,beadhead prince nymph are all good choices.Bluegill are usually not too picky if you locate them.They school so if you catch one you can catch many more in the same spot.

Be ready to loose a few flies.I am always sticking them into a sunken tree or hanging on a rock so i try to have plenty of extras.

goshawk87

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I feel kind of dumb asking for advice about bluegill, but it is a little outside of what I normally do, and I want my students to have a good time.

timmah

Reaction score
Here in my local bluegill hole, I use foam spiders (in yellow or black foam, with the rubber legs), and #12-14 Adams/mosquito variants. #12-14 black Gnats work almost as good as the spiders.

dennyk

Reaction score
Foam body spiders and beetles assorted colors with either silicone or Krystal flash legs. Size 12 & 14 2x Woolly Buggers also with various colors, black and olive are my favorites.

Maybe you could combine your teaching efforts with the proper way to scale & fillet and prepare the bluegills. Shore lunch time!

Denny

goshawk87

Reaction score
Foam body spiders and beetles assorted colors with either silicone or Krystal flash legs. Size 12 & 14 2x Woolly Buggers also with various colors, black and olive are my favorites.

Maybe you could combine your teaching efforts with the proper way to scale & fillet and prepare the bluegills. Shore lunch time!

Denny
That is an interesting idea. The problem is that I try and encourage catch and release when I teach. Also these are collage students that have never fly fished before, so there is no guarantee we will have enough to go around...

I might offer it as an option though.

dennyk

Reaction score
That is an interesting idea. The problem is that I try and encourage catch and release when I teach. Also these are collage students that have never fly fished before, so there is no guarantee we will have enough to go around...

You may want to consider crimping down the barbs on the hooks for easier removal, both for the student and the fish.

Denny

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I feel kind of dumb asking for advice about bluegill, but it is a little outside of what I normally do, and I want my students to have a good time.
Teaching new flyers is very rewarding. I'd scout the water soon and figure out what flies work there. If you'd like to try a few of my best panfish patterns PM your address. I'd be happy to send you a few to try. They have given me many 50 fish evenings. Your mileage may vary and there is only one way to know. Don't just show up with a box of poppers or other top water and nothing else, or you are adding to the risk of a busted trip. I should get out again tonight. The bite window is only about 1 hour this time of year with extreme heat.

goshawk87

Reaction score
You may want to consider crimping down the barbs on the hooks for easier removal, both for the student and the fish.

Denny
I agree, but students provide their own flies (I give them a list for guidance) so that is on them.

goshawk87

Reaction score
Teaching new flyers is very rewarding. I'd scout the water soon and figure out what flies work there. If you'd like to try a few of my best panfish patterns PM your address. I'd be happy to send you a few to try. They have given me many 50 fish evenings. Your mileage may vary and there is only one way to know. Don't just show up with a box of poppers or other top water and nothing else, or you are adding to the risk of a busted trip. I should get out again tonight. The bite window is only about 1 hour this time of year with extreme heat.
Thanks, that is super generous. If you would rather send the patterns, I can tie up some of my own. If you are going to send me flies, I am going to have to send some of my favorite trout flies back.

I am primarily a nymph fisherman, so I wouldn’t dream of showing up with just a box of top water bugs. Or showing up with just one box, but that is another matter.

I love teaching new fly fishers. I teach the fly fishing course for my local university, and it has been super rewarding. We normally target trout, but I want to change it up and see if I have help them catch a few more fish then is common with trout.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks, that is super generous. If you would rather send the patterns, I can tie up some of my own. If you are going to send me flies, I am going to have to send some of my favorite trout flies back.

I am primarily a nymph fisherman, so I wouldn’t dream of showing up with just a box of top water bugs. Or showing up with just one box, but that is another matter.

I love teaching new fly fishers. I teach the fly fishing course for my local university, and it has been super rewarding. We normally target trout, but I want to change it up and see if I have help them catch a few more fish then is common with trout.
We can handle the details PM, but probably best I send you a sample of what works here. You'll end up buying a bunch of non-trout tying materials so I can easily send materials along. I'll be out 3 bucks so no big deal for a forum member. You can also try tying them in natural colors with stuff you likely have. That's a big fail on my water but that doesn't really mean anything. Trout flies will catch bluegills, but I out fish it 5 to 1 with more traditional panfish colors. You'll just have to see what works there. Real experience on your local water trumps anybody's opinion.

desmobob

Reaction score
I used to prefer sponge spiders and bully bluegill flies, but I've come to the conclusion that for me, an olive damselfly nymph is #1. They seem to take it more aggressively and the long-shank hook I tie the fly on is much easier to get out of a 'gill's little mouth.

Tight lines,
Bob

goshawk87

Reaction score
I used to prefer sponge spiders and bully bluegill flies, but I've come to the conclusion that for me, an olive damselfly nymph is #1. They seem to take it more aggressively and the long-shank hook I tie the fly on is much easier to get out of a 'gill's little mouth.

Tight lines,
Bob
Good to know, olive damsels have become a standard part of my still water box, so I will give them a try.

smokeeater2

Reaction score
I target Bluegill a lot and they are fun to catch on a 4 wt. rod. I've had the most luck with sponge spiders, red/white poppers and of all things, Royal Wulff flies. The smaller black crickets and hoppers work great close to the bank.

pcolapaddler

Reaction score

Denny
I second crushed barbs. An recent errant backast snagged a high tree branch. Pulling it out drove a Pistol Pete to the bend in my knuckle.

Barbless fly still hurt but pulled right out. I have fished since I was 12. That's 40+ years. Never been really stuck deep before.

I really don't want to get stuck with a big barbed bass or salt water hook. Crimp them all now.

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

JoJer

Reaction score

Many bluegill ponds are improved by keeping some fish, especially if there isn't a good prey species (including anglers) to keep their populations in check. Fish as close to a full moon and 50-60 degree water temps as you can.

sab_0010

Reaction score
My favorite bluegill flies are epoxy ants in black and red, small hoppers in brown/black, and bully spiders. Here, they are eager to eat just about anything that will fit in their mouths