Questions regarding my rod and line

sfmadmax

Reaction score
Hey everyone , I'm new here and had some questions I would like to get your input on.

I'm really new , like 5 days old to fly fishing. Been practicing in the yard everyday for about an hour and half sometimes two

I have a lamiglass 7 weight rod , with 7 wf line. On a Grey's GTXi reel.

So far I've been casting small bugs, and practicing on them too. I went out tonight and just starting to get comfortable making my loop in both the back cast and forward cast

Im learning how to cast that line so the loop travels down the line and flicks the leader ahead ...

So I'm getting there , bear with me. :)

My question is, fly size. I have a few flys some wooly buggers and a popper , when I cast the larger stuff (feathered mouse floating ) which gets rather heavy when wet. I have allot of problems , I can't get a rhthym going , the fly seems to absorb all of the energy and acts like a rock on the line. If I get a spool of 8 weight line, should that alliveate some of the problem ???

I know the right answer is probably get a 8 weight rod and line, but wondering if I can do it with my 7w rod.

-sean

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

sab_0010

Reaction score
What size and what length leader are you using? Heavier flies require shorter/heavier leaders for a good turnover when compared to smaller flies. Good to hear that you are taking up fly fishing. Are you targeting bass with your 7wt?

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Welcome.

We're going to need some more information to have a decent idea of how to answer your question.

What fly line (brand/model/weight forward-WF, Floating or sinking) is on your reel?

What type of leader and how long is it?

What size are your wooly buggers and mice (I think you said you're trying to cast a mouse)?

sfmadmax

Reaction score
I bought this setup for $100 from a friend, so in pretty sure it's set up with a trout liter. I have no clue how it's tapered , I plan on getting myself the right liter , will that make all the difference in the world when casting ??

sfmadmax

Reaction score
Welcome.

We're going to need some more information to have a decent idea of how to answer your question.

What fly line (brand/model/weight forward-WF, Floating or sinking) is on your reel?

What type of leader and how long is it?

What size are your wooly buggers and mice (I think you said you're trying to cast a mouse)?
Thanks for responding ,

I have no idea what brand the fly line is. I was told it was 7wf and it's floating .. as I mentioned earlier the leader is what came on the reel , ita not that long now that I'm looking at it. It's about 4 feet long and the tip is pretty much gone , all that's remaining is the large end of it.

The wooly buggers I'm using I attached a pic. And my larger flies ( that I have problems casting )

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Maybe your WB is wet, otherwise that thing has seen better days (no worries though, it'll probably still catch some fish).

Okay, we'll assume that your line is WFF (Weight Forward-Floating). Fly lines can have different tapers/head designs which may or may not be part of your problem. Ideally, for bigger flies you want something designed to cast and turn over larger/bushier flies. However, you can learn to cast larger flies through better mechanics/technique. I won't go into all the details of how to gain mastery of the standard overhead cast here, as there are many threads you can search that will explain all of that much better than I can.

Most likely the primary issue you're having is due to weak casting mechanics. Which you'll sort out as you gain experience. Casting lessons would accelerate your learning curve significantly.

In the interest of a quick, temporary fix, I would try either a bass taper leader or just tie on a 3-4 foot piece of 20 lb. mono for those bigger flies. For smaller trout-type flies I would use a standard trout tapered leader.

Another option might be to try a furled leader. Furled leaders transmit casting energy from the fly line through the leader better than typical mono leaders, which should make casting in general easier, but will definitely make casting bigger, bushier bugs easier.

Anyway, as I said, I would invest in casting lessons and also check out the numerous threads here that address casting issues. As soon as I post this, I'll look up a few and post the links below.

Peace.

P.S. Here's a link that should help a little; lots of good info and links here. I just realized how late it was and i have to get ready to go to work, but otheres should be along soon to give you more info.

Analyze my cast....

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
As the posters above have indicated, the problem is that the leader is not designed to cast the heavier or more wind resistant flies. Do as Rangerrich99 says and use a straight section of thick leader material and try that before buying a new fly rod or an 8 wt line. The mouse may be too much to ask of a beginner but the other flies should be no problem. If you still have problems then as bass bug taper line will help but I suggest fly casting lessons before you go crazy with equipment upgrades.

sfmadmax

Reaction score
Thanks everyone ,

Will do what u suggested and report back.

Btw the WB is wet... Lol..

Sean

jspfishing

Reaction score
a 7wt should toss that mouse, but it might be a little awkward brand new to the sport. I know what you mean though. When I casted a game changer for the first time it felt like a stone. But as i got better i don't notice it anymore.

flav

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to cast either of those rabbit hair flies with a 7, or even a 9 weight, once they're wet they will weigh a ton. My big flies are all tied with synthetic materials that don't soak up water, it's made casting even big flies so much easier.

sfmadmax

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to cast either of those rabbit hair flies with a 7, or even a 9 weight, once they're wet they will weigh a ton. My big flies are all tied with synthetic materials that don't soak up water, it's made casting even big flies so much easier.
Interesting, good point, would you happen to know any good shops that would possibly sell such flies ?

sfmadmax

Reaction score
Update ******

Just wanted to update on my progress .

Over the weekend I literally stripped all of my old components , got new line 7wf , freshwater leaders 8lb test. Picked up a few tippet rings and tied them to the end of my 9ft leader, along with the correct tippet.

Casting is literally night and day , once I get my line out at least 11 ft the weight takes care of itself and you can feel the rod work the line. So far I've been able to get the flies spot on in between Lily pads at least 30 ft out.

So far still taking in small fish , but I'm getting there.

That crayfish fly was literally magic, I lost it on a pickeral though, I caught 2 of them , the first one pictured here. The 2nd one must of saw'd the tippet with his mouth and broke free with my fly. As I was fumblig around for my phone to take a pic. Robbery !!!

brownbass

Reaction score
Update ******

Just wanted to update on my progress .

Over the weekend I literally stripped all of my old components , got new line 7wf , freshwater leaders 8lb test. Picked up a few tippet rings and tied them to the end of my 9ft leader, along with the correct tippet.

Casting is literally night and day , once I get my line out at least 11 ft the weight takes care of itself and you can feel the rod work the line. So far I've been able to get the flies spot on in between Lily pads at least 30 ft out.

So far still taking in small fish , but I'm getting there.

That crayfish fly was literally magic, I lost it on a pickeral though, I caught 2 of them , the first one pictured here. The 2nd one must of saw'd the tippet with his mouth and broke free with my fly. As I was fumblig around for my phone to take a pic. Robbery !!!

If you think you are going to be messing with Pickeral much you may want to tie on a short really heavy tippet (20 lb hard mono or wire). It still think your useing to long of a leader. Try 7 1/2 foot 3x or 4X, then a tippet ring and then a foot or two of tippet with that shock tippet tied on. Check your shock tippet often after those pickeral grab it. It sounds like your hooked, welcome to the club.

Bill