Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

I can honestly say that I have been fly fishing Pike my whole fly fishing life. First fish I caught on the long rod and still my fav to persue. I use a 9 wt outfit to cast the flies I use and also use it to land the fish a quickly as possible. I make my own leaders using 6 ft. of 17 lb. Trilene XL and 2 ft. of Mason Nylostrand wire. I start by putting a double surgeons loop in one end of the mono. Next I use an Albright knot to attach my wire to the mono and finally a figure 8 knot to attach my fly. I do use a lot of different flies but here are a couple of pics of my favorites.

Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

I have a question now regarding how to work flies in a river/creek setting for pike. How do you work flies in a stream for pike? What structure should I look for?

3. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

Pike in rivers are usually in backwaters, sloughs and eddies. They don't like a lot of current, so the retrieve is very similar to lakes. If you see fish or know where they will be, and there is a bit of current, cast above them, across and slightly up stream and work the fly through the area. You'll figure out what works on the spot. Good luck.

4. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

Hi MikeG!

I agree with PikeFlyGuy! Get a #10 rod (medium fast), or a fast action #9 that can cast a #10 pike taper.

Itīs not the size of the pike, itīs the size of the flies! You can cast big flies with a # 8 rod, but youīll have to put in som more work!

/ Christer

5. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

Just adding...
    If you are going to fish without a guide, learn to hand-land the pike, if yo get the right grip in th gill, the fish will open its mouth enough for you to play dentist with the 9 inch forceps I strongly recommend you to buy!
    / Christer

6. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

I would be interested in your book when you get it done. I'm moving to a place where they have large Muskies and, never having even seen one, need all the information I can get.

Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

For Muskie would a 9' 9wt fly rod using a reel that has 10wt line on, is that suffice for muskie fly fishing?

8. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

That outfit would do. Caught tons of Muskie on the 9 wt. I have. The best so far is 44 inches. Wish I had a pic of that one.

9. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

Awesome looking flies and nice pike DarkCahill. I have never fishing for pike or musky anywhere although I'm going to start fishing for musky this year on a fly rod. Both of those flies look like they would be great in a river.

10. Default Re: Pike and Muskie Rods/flies

Both of those flies have caught numerous Pike and Musky. The Weedman's Slider, bottom pic, in black is my most productive pattern. If you do it in a brown and yellow you will have my second best producing Musky fly. I hope you get one.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast