Pike rod —> Scott Tidal vs Orvis Recon

trout frenzy

Reaction score
On all my pike fishing, so far I was using some TFO TiCrX in 9wt and 10wt... I just love them !
But I’m looking for something little lighter.
In the long summer days, the TiCrX drain me out of power. By the end of the day, I can’t “push” them the way they need to be.
I use mainly big flies from 8” to 12”... And it’s usually quite windy, here.

Then,... Orvis Recon ????? Scott Tidal ?????
All feedback welcome...

Thanks in advance & Tight Line

sab_0010

Reaction score
I have fished the Recon in 5wt and have a Tidal in 8wt. I enjoyed fishing the Tidal. It feels very light in hand and loads really well. I can make accurate casts with it inside of 60' but it can go farther. My only problem with it is that it is not stiff enough to cast very far directly into the wind, at least for me. I was using an older Rio Striper line that a friend gave me and could get out to close to 50' in the wind before really struggling. These were pretty strong coastal winds, though. I can't speak for the heavier Recons, but the 5wt is a fine trout rod. It sounds like you are looking for a 9wt, but my 8wt Tidal is for sale if you're interested.

jr spey

Reaction score
Between those two I would select the Scott Tidal. If you're open to other ideas, the TFO Axiom II is quite a bit lighter than the two TFO rods you mentioned and would make a terrific pike rod.

joshw

Reaction score
I have the tidal pike/ musky special and it will perform well for throwing those flies. I like it with lines around the 400 grain mark.

trout frenzy

Reaction score
I have the tidal pike/ musky special and it will perform well for throwing those flies. I like it with lines around the 400 grain mark.
Hi Joshw. Thanks for your feedback.
How this rod perform in strong windy conditions ?

joshw

Reaction score
It's fine in wind. It's a fast rod but not super fast which I like for full sink, and intermediate lines. I haven't fished this rod with a floating line but for the lines mentioned it has worked well for me.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Given the rods mentioned, I take it that the OP's budget is $500 or less. I've been looking for a 9 wt in that same price range to cast large flies (6-7"). After trying several (including the Tidal), the one I settled on is the Echo EPR 8 wt (to me it handled an 8 OK, but cast even better with a 9; I did not cast the 9 wt, but my experience with the 8 suggests it would be more of a 9/10; note though that I was using a fairly true to weight line, maybe a half-size heavy, and so with an oversized/more aggressive taper perhaps it would be best to have the # on the line box match the # on the blank). I don't know what your TFO weighs, but if weight is the main consideration, then both the Recon (3.75 oz) and the Tidal (around 4 oz I think) are lighter than the Echo (8 is 4.4, 9 is 4.5). But I thought the Echo did the best job of turning over the big flies and so opted for it over some lighter alternatives; I got the best distance with the Echo but I thought it also did well at shorter distances also. And I don't think the Echo is heavy, it's just not as light as the two mentioned. What I found during my test casting is that while I would notice weight differences when holding a rod in each hand, the differential generally (but not always) disappeared once I started casting the rods--though most of the rods I cast were within a few tenths of an ounce of each other, and I didn't cast anything as light as the Recon.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Sage Motive? Same price as the tidal, I casted both and liked the Motive quite a bit better, but every one’s style is different of course. I felt like the Motive is faster and might handle the wind a bit better. YMMV

trout frenzy

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Sage Motive? Same price as the tidal, I casted both and liked the Motive quite a bit better, but every one’s style is different of course. I felt like the Motive is faster and might handle the wind a bit better. YMMV

Isn’t the Motive discontinued ?...

trout frenzy

Reaction score
I found a Scott brand new S4S 9wt, for nearly the same price of Tidal / Recon !...(?)

Your advices?????

cerec_cat

Reaction score
Do you feel that an 8 wt is sufficient for musky? I currently use a 10, but feel like my arm is going to fall off by early afternoon.

mnigro

Reaction score
Do you feel that an 8 wt is sufficient for musky? I currently use a 10, but feel like my arm is going to fall off by early afternoon.
No personal experience but based on the flies my buddy in OH throws for muskies, 10 wt all day. Can’t imagine throwing 10” flies with an 8. I do know that he uses shooting heads almost exclusively- very little false casting.

Hillboy

Reaction score
I have a 10' Orvis Helios 2 in 7 wt that I use for throwing big streamers. I've caught pike up to about 8 lbs on it and not an issue at all. But, even if you want to stay with a 9-10 wt, I would give that 10' H2 a look. It is just fantastic for throwing heavy flies. And you can probably pick one up on Craigs List or Ebay used for under $500. I got mine for $350 and it is like new. And comes with the ORvis lifetime warranty, so who cares what shape it's in? Good luck.