Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Any idea what the weight of this one might be?

Quote Originally Posted by stinger22 View Post
    Yes maybe pushing 4 nice either way like DB poppers but the Boogle bug are my go to poppers
    Thanks, I will have to look that one up. I am very new to this addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice fish. I tried bumping your picture up against a picture of one I caught back in the spring. Based on the calculator mentioned it weighed in at 4.75 lbs. It had just finished spawning, and was a bit skinny. Your's looks a bit fatter, so it might be over 5 lbs. I tied up some double barrel poppers in the spring, but I didn't really use them. I do like soft foam poppers though. White or yellow seem to work best around here.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Thank you for the replies. Also just to clarify something, I did not mean to speak badly about Orvis. I took the poppers into them today and they were more than happy to exchange them. They even set me up with a better leader/tippet combo to toss them. Great company from my experience.

Thanks again for the replies. I am headed to the NC coast Monday. I hope to get in the salt flats and see what I can find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's big enough to brag about.

Hard to tell from a photo with no sure reference on how big other things (like you) in it are.

You should at least have a way of measuring the bigger fish you catch, approximately. A mark on the rod that you can lay the fish against and see how close it is to the mark is a good one.

I've found formulas for estimating weight of bass and other fish to be of little use. But if I know how long the fish is, I can guess the weight fairly well. Here's my basic formula, gleaned from weighing a lot of bass over the years:

17 inches--2.75 pounds
    18 inches--3.25 pounds
    19 inches--3.75 pounds
    20 inches--4.5 pounds
    21 inches--5.25 pounds
    22 inches--6.25 pounds

Now...that's average weight for a bass of an average degree of "fatness". It's a starting point. If your bass is skinny and big-headed, subtract up to .75 lb. depending on how skinny it is. If it looks a lot thicker and fatter than normal, add up to the same amount. In larger sizes like 21 inches plus, you can go even higher or lower on weight estimate. I once caught a 22 incher that weighed nearly 8 pounds, and a 24 incher that weighed less than 6 pounds. But most of the time, you can estimate weight fairly well if you know the length.

6. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by al_a View Post
    Hard to tell from a photo with no sure reference on how big other things (like you) in it are.
    I've found formulas for estimating weight of bass and other fish to be of little use. But if I know how long the fish is, I can guess the weight fairly well. Here's my basic formula, gleaned from weighing a lot of bass over the years:

17 inches--2.75 pounds
    18 inches--3.25 pounds
    19 inches--3.75 pounds
    20 inches--4.5 pounds
    21 inches--5.25 pounds
    22 inches--6.25 pounds

Now...that's average weight for a bass of an average degree of "fatness". It's a starting point. If your bass is skinny and big-headed, subtract up to .75 lb. depending on how skinny it is. If it looks a lot thicker and fatter than normal, add up to the same amount. In larger sizes like 21 inches plus, you can go even higher or lower on weight estimate. I once caught a 22 incher that weighed nearly 8 pounds, and a 24 incher that weighed less than 6 pounds. But most of the time, you can estimate weight fairly well if you know the length.
    Estimating Weight of Largemouth Bass

Your weight chart closely mirrors the one from Texas Parks and Wildlife. Texas weighed and measured 3,178 bass to build their table. Nice work on the numbers.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Estimating Weight of Largemouth Bass

Your weight chart closely mirrors the one from Texas Parks and Wildlife. Texas weighed and measured 3,178 bass to build their table. Nice work on the numbers.
    Thanks! I didn't go any longer than 22 inches because I've caught so few over that size here in Missouri. For what it's worth, stream smallmouth in the Ozarks are a bit lighter for their length than largemouth, but northern smallmouth are pretty close to that formula.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12