Monster Arapaima from Pirarucu Crazy pics Oh My

fishordie

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I returned from an amazing trip to Pirarucu in the Amazon a few days ago.. Another Epic Fly fishing trip with Untamed Angling and arranged by The Fly Shop. I cannot say enough great things about both of these operations as the days I experienced were undoubtedly record setting for the quantity of fish landed, size of the fish and the amount of action on most every session. We were limited by agreement to fishing 4 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon yet, somehow, it was perfect... Even though we got rained out the 3rd afternoon. Pirarucu is an incredible wildlife sanctuary in the Amazon Basin... Though we cannot fish at or near this Eco Lodge the surroundings are something right out of Jurassic Park.. Big fish rising 24/7, Arrowana and other tropical fish abound as if the lodge were in a giant aquarium.. The Black Caiman are everywhere, including right next to the lodge, in the waterways and all along the shores (Thousands of them) making for being in the water an always interesting experience... Being aware of one's surroundings.... Well, lets just say we are not in Kansas anymore Toto...

As far as gear goes, big streamers, Rio Intermediate Jungle and Outbound short clear tip lines, Sage X 10 Wt rods for the Arapaima (Amazing performers) and of Course those amazing Nautilus NVG reels all of which performed flawlessly with zero failures even though my drags were tight... very tight...I know a 10 wt sounds light for the application but they were perfect... for great conditions we experienced. 6 Wt or 7 wt Sage X for Arrowana with Rio floating lines and I was set.. If the water levels were higher, I would have needed to go to a full sink line which would have required possibly using 11 or 12 wts.. Which I brought but did not use. Add in a bunch of amazing custom Flys from my Friend Eric Blackshear from Ventura California, Hernan Tula from Argentina and Guilherme (one of the amazing guides at Pirarucu) and life was good.

I will give way from my normal long winded write ups and just put up the pictures.. Starting with the biggest first... Yes, a true river monster which yielded a Holy Shidddd....T moment. I still cannot believe the size and power of this particular fish... I cannot figure out how to up load more than 5 pictures to the post so I will add pictures to the thread in several sections...Too many fish to put up all the pics nor did I take pictures of every fish... What a problem to have... LOL

Have a great season.

Jamie

Attachments

Last edited:

fishordie

Reaction score
Re: Monster Arapaima from Pirarucu Oh My

And a few more pics... On the 3rd and 4th days I fished with Ben who runs The Fly Fishing Show around the United States. We had around 15 beautiful Arapaima just in the first 4 hour morning session between us... It was even better in that in that first morning session we had 3 or 4 double hookups with all double hooks ups landed. Beyond amazing and really, really fun. The guides of Guilherme, Rodrigo and our Native guide Jonny (Sp?) were off the hook great.. This is truly a one of a kind experience. I am so glad that Rodrigo Salles talked me into this trip as the 4 days at Pirarucu accounted for so many life times of memories..

Jamie

Attachments

Last edited:

flyminded

Reaction score
Re: Monster Arapaima from Pirarucu Oh My

Goodness gracious look at the size of those things ...when you find a lodge with great fishing and food that taste better than cork I’m your man. :cool:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jamie

You are truly blessed to be able to fish in such awesome places!!!
Thanks for sharing those great photos, that Arapaima is just amazing.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that is my type of fishing! (Well to be fair I'd probably say that about anywhere but WOW!!!)

Thanks for the awesome photos of those big arapaima - I have caught some smaller ones in the exotic fish lakes in Thailand and they pull like a freight train so I can only imagine that big one and how it must have pulled!

Nice to see Ben out and about. I met his father Chuck a few times at iCAST I think it must have been - in fact it reminds me that they would make a great advertiser for the site so I should drop them a line! ;-)

clsmith131

Reaction score
That's great stuff! Like Jeremy Wade hunting river monsters. I used to have a pet caiman. He was a south american spectacled caiman. He was given to me by a friend. His name was Gerald, and he was about 2' long. I kept him in a big aquarium and fed him various fish from the pet store. I eventually gave him to another friend who was a reptile fanatic, and had habitat better suited for his needs.

errock_22

Reaction score
Awesome Jamie! Seeing these pictures just makes me want to go even more! All of those fish are incredible but that big one is on a different level!! So glad the flies held up for you!
I wasn't sure if the flies I tied that were meant for fish could handle dinosaurs! Thanks for being the test pilot on these, Jamie! And a huge congratulations!

Here are a few pics of the flies I tied for the trip. I tried to stick with forage that a arapaima might eat, baby peacock bass and red bellied piranha.
I also posted these in the fly tying forum as well.....

Cousin It.jpgColor 2.jpg39061062-0973-4984-9920-B025CD577A79.jpgAA4FCF34-1398-49EC-B6F1-2E96943EE0F4.jpgDCFB586E-F6FA-4897-B479-2DAB394F12C3.jpg