Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

J

joe_strummer

Thinking about similar myself and took the opportunity to cast a bunch at the Denver FFS. The rods I think I'm picking from are:

- G Loomis Asquith
- Scott Meridian
- T&T Exocett SS 250
- Sage Ignitor

I also liked the Douglas SKY and the G Loomis IMX Pro. Cast a Redington Predator 10wt because I had never and was curious -- nice pike stick imo and the 7'-10" and 9' 8wt would be worth checking out for a bass rod.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I would look for used Loomis GLX, Sage Xi2 or Xi3 or RPLX...when I LMB fish it's private lake Lowell and use an 8wt Xi3 for weed extraction...find a good used 8wt RPLX for 200 would be my first choice then the Loomis GLX

J

joe_strummer

I would look for used Loomis GLX, Sage Xi2 or Xi3 or RPLX...when I LMB fish it's private lake Lowell and use an 8wt Xi3 for weed extraction...find a good used 8wt RPLX for 200 would be my first choice then the Loomis GLX
I use a 7wt Xi3 quite a bit for LMBs and hybrids with floating and sinking lines and a buddy has an 8. Good bass rods.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
It's the "fast action" that's throwing me off.
When I fish for LMB, I'm casting right in tight to the cover.
Accuracy to drop my bug into a wash tub sized hole in the salad or sticks is far, far more important than being able to cast distance.
On top of that, I'm usually casting a big air-resistant popper or bug. (The big explosion of a surface take is why I like bass fishing in the first place.)
With a big air-resistant fly, you're making open loop casts.
Again, not the kind of casts that a fast action rod is known for.
A slower action rod would suit me much better

Just my $.02

tpo

Reaction score
For your price point, take a look at the TFO rods. The BVK seems to be very popular with a lot of forum members, and I have the TiCrX in 7 and 8 weights. It's a powerful stick that works well for big bass water.

Tom

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I feel the same as Rip, and frankly, there can be various reasons to choose a rod, not just because you'll be targeting bass. IMO, you need to cast every rod you have your eye on for this, then decide which best serves you for where you'll be fishing.

The two rods that I use most are a TFO Lefty Kreh series I in 10 wt, and a Redington Crosswater in 9 wt. Both are faster action than the old 8 wt Cortland fiberglass rod I started with, but not as fast as some rods on the market. For me, they both work well. I like tossing bigger flies than many folks use, and as Rip said, distance is not a big consideration. I rarely need to cast further than 40 ft and do need accuracy more than distance because I'm often tossing the flies in among the snags.

Reaction score
I have a few of the rods listed above but I love my Sage Bass II line of rods. They are so good at putting big heavy flies where you want them. Not great for long distance casting but that what Bass fishin is about. I would suggest the 290 or the 330 grain set ups for largemouth bass fishin.

Steve

jr spey

Reaction score
Accuracy to drop my bug into a wash tub sized hole in the salad or sticks is far, far more important than being able to cast distance.
On top of that, I'm usually casting a big air-resistant popper or bug. (The big explosion of a surface take is why I like bass fishing in the first place.)

Just my $.02
Right. SlowER, but not slow. Though not under $300.00, the Gary Loomis Edge rods are superb for bass (and many other things, too.) At their new price points they're about the best value out there in a new rod. Incredibly smooth, but not lightning fast, either. I paid $875.00 for mine about three years ago. I think they are now well under $500.00.

J

joe_strummer

There's cover that requires a loop on the tighter side to get the fly in play, and you can open up your loop by technique if the rig or the shot calls for it. A bass rig I often have onboard is that 7wt Xi3 with a Titan and a Dahlberg Diver. Once hooked up around cover, you may want to have some backbone to stop and turn a fish about to burrow into a weed bed or something and the Xi3 is a fish-fighter.

But I use some relatively softer rods for bass too, BIImx and BIIIx in 8s.

runningfish

Reaction score
Well, I just picked a new 3rd generation Redington Predator 8wt 7'10" for only $199 (Super value) last week after also considered the Sage Bass II 290. But after some wiggle tests, the experience from past ownership of the 6wt 7'10" Predator, and checking my piggy bank I went with the Predator. Hooked myself a nice Redington Behemoth as well and still came out cheaper than the Sage. Although, the Sage is much nicer and smoother.

I preferred bassin' with a shorter rod than a 9ft, I used to fish an Epic 8wt 8'8" that I built, even with the Blue Halo 5wt 8' fiberglass and just loved the casting process. Distance wise is just a matter of how well you can cast, and just like what flyfishinsteve64 bassin' is making accurate short distance casts.

ctshooter

Reaction score
Recently aquired an older 8 wt for hitting up some of the old farm ponds we have around here, looking forward to learning bass on a fly

moucheur2003

Reaction score

Just my $.02
^^This. Make that $.04. My 8 weight bass rods are my father-in-law's old glass Shakespeare Wonderod and a budget Albright Tradewind I bought on closeout from STP. Bass aren't bonefish. You want that deeper flex for casting those big poppers.

el jefe

Reaction score
Well, I just picked a new 3rd generation Redington Predator 8wt 7'10" for only $199 (Super value) last week after also considered the Sage Bass II 290. But after some wiggle tests, the experience from past ownership of the 6wt 7'10" Predator, and checking my piggy bank I went with the Predator. Hooked myself a nice Redington Behemoth as well and still came out cheaper than the Sage. Although, the Sage is much nicer and smoother.

I preferred bassin' with a shorter rod than a 9ft, I used to fish an Epic 8wt 8'8" that I built, even with the Blue Halo 5wt 8' fiberglass and just loved the casting process. Distance wise is just a matter of how well you can cast, and just like what flyfishinsteve64 bassin' is making accurate short distance casts.
You say "used to." I was considering building that rod for bass fishing, so I am curious about your experience with that rod, and why you no longer use it.

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
I purchased a new 8wt last fall.

I tried almost all the rods mentioned in this thread and a few others (helios 3 for example), but finally ended up with an Echo EPR. A little above your $300 target.

Not saying this is the right rod for you, but it works well for me and my casting stroke