Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

I’m kind of with Ripetide on this..
    Fast action carbon rods & bass fishing just don’t mix...Yeah you can do it but there’s better options.

This is based on I’m assuming you are either wade fishing or fishing out of a bass boat and making 20 to 50 foot casts to structure.

You cast to a pocket and work your fly for 5 to 20 feet and pick it and throw right back a few ft away with one cast...maybe one false cast.

You want open loops with a relaxed moderate casting stroke.

Today’s Fiberglass fits this bill perfectly...Today’s Fiberglass is not your Grandfathers fiberglass. Look into an Echo BAG quickshooter (in your budget) or a McFarland Ameriglass Glass Big Game series. Little more $$$

You can bend these things into a “U” and they ain’t going to break,try that in the salad/timber with a BVK...tons of lifting power.

I just bought a 7’ 10” 8wt blank just for this type of fishing.

Good luck with your decision

2. Likes City Rat liked this post

I like the Orvis Superfine 8wt for bass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Default Re: Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

I think the best bass rod under $300 is the TFO Mangrove. If you can spare $25 more, check out the Sage Foundation.

5. Likes jr spey liked this post
  6. Default Re: Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

Quote Originally Posted by mikew1959 View Post
    Iím kind of with Ripetide on this..
    Fast action carbon rods & bass fishing just donít mix...Yeah you can do it but thereís better options.

This is based on Iím assuming you are either wade fishing or fishing out of a bass boat and making 20 to 50 foot casts to structure.

You cast to a pocket and work your fly for 5 to 20 feet and pick it and throw right back a few ft away with one cast...maybe one false cast.

You want open loops with a relaxed moderate casting stroke.

Todayís Fiberglass fits this bill perfectly...Todayís Fiberglass is not your Grandfathers fiberglass. Look into an Echo BAG quickshooter (in your budget) or a McFarland Ameriglass Glass Big Game series. Little more $$$

You can bend these things into a ďUĒ and they ainít going to break,try that in the salad/timber with a BVK...tons of lifting power.

I just bought a 7í 10Ē 8wt blank just for this type of fishing.

Good luck with your decision
    As a musky nut whose fishes both a BAG quickshot 10wt and a TFO Ticrx I highly recommend the Glass BAG. Casts amazing and youíll never bust it like you would a regular rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an old thread so I was tempted to leave it be but....
    having had a passion to fish big bugs to LMB for many a year, I'd offer my thougts/experience.

First, a fast action rod is good IF you overline it to slow it down. As riptide pointed out, you don't need a rod to throw fist sized loops when your throwing big wind resistant or waterlogged bugs in the 1-3/0 range. You want a rod with power, momentum and accuracy. This ain't bonefishing.

I'd add that (this is a personal prefference) when I'm fishing from a small boat/canoe etc. I like a slightly shorter rod in the 8' 6" to 8'8" range. I just find them more accurate in a game where being a foot off target means no fish. Many shorter rods tend to have a little more Umph in the butt to set the hook and turn fish in the slop as well.

All that said, I don't think that bass bugging requires anything overly specialized ( or high end). I've fooled many a bass on 8-9' fly rods in the 7-9 wt range rods that retailed well less than $150. Reels, even are even less demanding. The trick is to learn to master whatever tool you choose.

FWIW, some here may recall that there used to be a major company that speciallized in fly fishing gear for Largemouth. It was called "The bass pond". They even had their own line of rods. Their rods eatured a heavy butt, medium fast action and sold to be overlined.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234