Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

Thinking about similar myself and took the opportunity to cast a bunch at the Denver FFS. The rods I think I'm picking from are:

- G Loomis Asquith
    - Scott Meridian
    - T&T Exocett SS 250
    - Sage Ignitor

I also liked the Douglas SKY and the G Loomis IMX Pro. Cast a Redington Predator 10wt because I had never and was curious -- nice pike stick imo and the 7'-10" and 9' 8wt would be worth checking out for a bass rod.

3. Likes City Rat liked this post

Redington predator was one I had my eye on
    I’d like to stay under $300

5. Default Re: Looking for an 8wt fast action bass rod

I would look for used Loomis GLX, Sage Xi2 or Xi3 or RPLX...when I LMB fish it's private lake Lowell and use an 8wt Xi3 for weed extraction...find a good used 8wt RPLX for 200 would be my first choice then the Loomis GLX

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    I would look for used Loomis GLX, Sage Xi2 or Xi3 or RPLX...when I LMB fish it's private lake Lowell and use an 8wt Xi3 for weed extraction...find a good used 8wt RPLX for 200 would be my first choice then the Loomis GLX
    I use a 7wt Xi3 quite a bit for LMBs and hybrids with floating and sinking lines and a buddy has an 8. Good bass rods.

Quote Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
    Redington predator was one I had my eye on
    I’d like to stay under $300
    I expected the 10wt Predator to be a club and was pleasantly surprised.

It's the "fast action" that's throwing me off.
    When I fish for LMB, I'm casting right in tight to the cover.
    Accuracy to drop my bug into a wash tub sized hole in the salad or sticks is far, far more important than being able to cast distance.
    On top of that, I'm usually casting a big air-resistant popper or bug. (The big explosion of a surface take is why I like bass fishing in the first place.)
    With a big air-resistant fly, you're making open loop casts.
    Again, not the kind of casts that a fast action rod is known for.
    A slower action rod would suit me much better

Just my $.02
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes jr spey, Hirdy, City Rat liked this post

For your price point, take a look at the TFO rods. The BVK seems to be very popular with a lot of forum members, and I have the TiCrX in 7 and 8 weights. It's a powerful stick that works well for big bass water.

Tom

I feel the same as Rip, and frankly, there can be various reasons to choose a rod, not just because you'll be targeting bass. IMO, you need to cast every rod you have your eye on for this, then decide which best serves you for where you'll be fishing.

The two rods that I use most are a TFO Lefty Kreh series I in 10 wt, and a Redington Crosswater in 9 wt. Both are faster action than the old 8 wt Cortland fiberglass rod I started with, but not as fast as some rods on the market. For me, they both work well. I like tossing bigger flies than many folks use, and as Rip said, distance is not a big consideration. I rarely need to cast further than 40 ft and do need accuracy more than distance because I'm often tossing the flies in among the snags.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

12. Thanks Rip Tide thanked for this post

I have a few of the rods listed above but I love my Sage Bass II line of rods. They are so good at putting big heavy flies where you want them. Not great for long distance casting but that what Bass fishin is about. I would suggest the 290 or the 330 grain set ups for largemouth bass fishin.

Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast