Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegill fishing rigs

1. Default Bluegill fishing rigs

I usually fish for bluegills with a 6 wt. I was thinking of scaling down to a 3 wt. I like the TFO finesse series 7'9 3 wt. and the Ross CLA or Lamson Konic reel. I would like any advice the members may have.

2. Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

I actually have the Finesse 4wt 7'9" and I love it, fwiw. It's a smooth rod that can do the whole delicate presentation thing with easy. I really enjoy casting it. I use my 4wt for just about everything except for throwing huge bass poppers.

3. Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

I own a few lamson reels , and love em. one thing I would say is think about going to a 4 wt. I own a 3 and fish it from time to time for trort and gills, the only time I dont like it for gills is when I go to a little bigger popper or a weited fly. But catching a 9 or 10 inch bull bluegill on a three weight is a ball for sure.
    have fun
    Bear

Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

There are some big bluegills in mine and my neighbor's ponds. A 4 wt is lots of fun. The 3 wt should be a real ball. This is the average size, with some much bigger. As I look out at the snow and wind, I just sigh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Matttrick View Post
    I actually have the Finesse 4wt 7'9" and I love it, fwiw. It's a smooth rod that can do the whole delicate presentation thing with easy. I really enjoy casting it. I use my 4wt for just about everything except for throwing huge bass poppers.
    I was told that casting with a shorter rod was difficult, is your tfo 4 wt harder to cast than a 6 wt rod.

My 8'6" 4/5 is a Sage with a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek reel, it's my all around workhorse.

I also have a custom made 7' 4wt with a Ross reel that gets the call for the streams and creeks and a TFO 9' 6wt loaded with 7wt line on another Hobbs Creek for the bigger bass flies.

So far I have no complaints with any of these rigs. That means I don't have to buy any more rods and reels, right?

7. Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

Quote Originally Posted by jr1964 View Post
    I was told that casting with a shorter rod was difficult, is your tfo 4 wt harder to cast than a 6 wt rod.
    My apoligy, mine's an 8'9" 4wt, not the 7'9". I don't know what I was smoking the other night. The 8'9" is plenty long and I have no difficulty casting it at all. I've tried a TFO 3wt 6ft something inch, and that was to short for my liking.

The shorter rods will magnify the flaws in your casting. But they can double as a training/practice rod.

9. Default Re: Bluegill fishing rigs

I use an 8'-6" 3wt Cabelas Travel Rod for fighting Bluegill.

Simple rigging & simple flies

Catching those little fighters on a 3wt is a blast.

Tie One On

Quote Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
    I own a few lamson reels , and love em. one thing I would say is think about going to a 4 wt. I own a 3 and fish it from time to time for trort and gills, the only time I dont like it for gills is when I go to a little bigger popper or a weited fly. But catching a 9 or 10 inch bull bluegill on a three weight is a ball for sure.
    have fun
    Bear
    A 4wt seems to be affected much less by the wind than a 3wt as well. If you expect to cast poppers and such it can make a big difference.

As far as length goes, rods under 7'6" are a bit tougher to cast, but something around 8' shouldn't be too much of a change from your 9' rod. I've got a 8'6" 3wt TFO Pro and like it quite well. Its really fairly stiff for a long 3wt.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast