Best Bass Fly for use with 5 & 6 WT

EastTexas

Reaction score
What is the best bass fly & size for use with 5 & 6 WT outfits?

So far bentbacks seems to be the 4x4 fly.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm sure I have caught the most bass on lighter rods with a bead-head bugger or some variation thereof. But that is actually usually with my 4wt. A bendback is definetly one of the best flies for lighter rods due to its light weight and its aerodynamic shape. I love fishing small poppers for bass on light to midweight rods as well. Bead-chain-eye Clousers work well on light rods too.

tightlines57

Reaction score
When fishing for bass I prefer to go after the bigger fish. I have 2 eight weights that I use to throw bigger bugs. However, I have caught a lot of bass throwing wooly buggers with my 4 weight. The best bass fly for me is a big clouser, white, green or white and green. For top water a mouse pattern or a chernobyl (sp) ant work very well.

A 6 weight will work with most of the flys, I just prefer an 8 weight to get the extra distance.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Glad Tightlines brought up how well Chernobyl ants work for bass. While working at a fly shop in college, myself and and the true guru from my shop were contracted to teach a group of ladies to fly fish at a ranch near Hondo, TX. We did the grass-casting bit to get all of them up to speed on casting and then headed over to the pond.

I had waited until that point to teach my current student the roll cast, so that I could take advantage of the surface tension of the water to make the roll cast work like its supposed to. I had flipped 25' or so of line out on the water and was about to begin my demonstration of the roll cast when a hungry 1lb bass came up and knocked the fool out of that fly. I was quite embarrassed at this point because I was supposed to be there to teach, not to catch the first fish of the day. It served to be a good example of just how much bass like flies with rubber legs dangling off of them, but that wasn't how it was supposed to go at all!

I still would love another chance to fish that pond, but I will never forget how excited that bass got over that Chernobyl ant. I experimented with Chernobyl ants for bass after that and learned that putting a Krystal Flash wing on the back of them will REALLY drive bass nutz. I think they were normal Chernobyl's but used a indicator patch on the back (lighter colored foam) to make the Flash wing point to the rear over the body. I guess I'll add that to the list of flies I need to take pictures of to show y'all.

booger13

Reaction score
Although I am a newcomer to flyfishing, I have found that a Clouser minnow in green and white, gray and white, or red and white will almost always provide a strike from the smallies I fish for in Indiana. Wolly Buggers and topwater combos are probably next in efficiency.

tie one on

Reaction score
Which species of bass are you after, smallmouth or largemouth & what time of year are you casting for them ?

I have used numerous flies to land both of these. I do tend to agree with an earlier reply that any fly with some type of rubber legs will work well & does. Here in West Michigan I have caught both on a "Black Spider" pattern my father used to tie up for panfish, only with a little bigger hook. If your fishing rivers in spring/summer popper flies with marabou feathers for maximum movement also work well. I'm sure that you will receive quite allot of variation in answer to your question. I've caught bass on small dry flies on up the scale, so to narrow it to one is somewhat difficult. A final suggestion might be to try a "Sparrow" (refer to www.jackgartside.com for the pattern) This is a fly that I use for many different species & it works. Try using a tiemco TMC 5263 size 6 to tie it on for a little more hook strength.

Tie One On

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tie one on said:
Which species of bass are you after, smallmouth or largemouth & what time of year are you casting for them ?

I have used numerous flies to land both of these. I do tend to agree with an earlier reply that any fly with some type of rubber legs will work well & does. Here in West Michigan I have caught both on a "Black Spider" pattern my father used to tie up for panfish, only with a little bigger hook. If your fishing rivers in spring/summer popper flies with marabou feathers for maximum movement also work well. I'm sure that you will receive quite allot of variation in answer to your question. I've caught bass on small dry flies on up the scale, so to narrow it to one is somewhat difficult. A final suggestion might be to try a "Sparrow" (refer to www.jackgartside.com for the pattern) This is a fly that I use for many different species & it works. Try using a tiemco TMC 5263 size 6 to tie it on for a little more hook strength.

Tie One On
Ah finally, another Jack Gartside fan! I have been tying and fishing his Soft hackle streamer for yrs. And EVERY place I have fished it it has caught fish..

freeze69

Reaction score
booger13 said:
Although I am a newcomer to flyfishing, I have found that a Clouser minnow in green and white, gray and white, or red and white will almost always provide a strike from the smallies I fish for in Indiana. Wolly Buggers and topwater combos are probably next in efficiency.
as being from northern indiana. was curious if you could send me a photo of the clouser flies that you're using? secondly was wondering where abouts in indiana are you located at?

tie one on

Reaction score
Mike,

If you too are a Gartside fan & fish also for trout like I do, try tying up some of his CPF caddis flies.

I had recently suggested that pattern to someone else on this forum.

While having a few days off at Christmas I tied up about a dozen. I tried several different materials for the body & have narrowed it down to one
pattern. I will try to borrow my youngest daughters digital camera & post a photo of it soon as I can.

Gartside definitely has some awesome flies.

Tie One On

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tie one on said:
Mike,

If you too are a Gartside fan & fish also for trout like I do, try tying up some of his CPF caddis flies.

I had recently suggested that pattern to someone else on this forum.

While having a few days off at Christmas I tied up about a dozen. I tried several different materials for the body & have narrowed it down to one
pattern. I will try to borrow my youngest daughters digital camera & post a photo of it soon as I can.

Gartside definitely has some awesome flies.

Tie One On
I will have to give them a shot. I am a huge trout fan.

wigglelegfrog

Reaction score
5 and 6 weights are a little light for most of my bassing in East Texas, but a variation of a Whitlock Wigglelegfrog is what kills them for me. I've taken numerous nice bass, including an 8#10oz, on it. Striker, Tyler, Houston County, Palestine, Athens, Monticello, Fork, and Purtis Creek bass all seem to like it - year round. For the lighter weight rods I just tie it on a #6 3366 Mustad or a #10 37187 Stinger Mustad. For my favorite rig - a 9 weight - I use a #2 or #4 Eagle Claw 84F and straighten the offset in the hook with my pliers. Sturdy, many-time-sharpenable hook, the 84F. I also incorporate a double 15# mono weed guard to get me over/around the "pads."
Good luck, Partner!

Stan Wright

Reaction score
Before Mustad quit making them... I used a salt water keel hook size 6.
(79666S) The keel hook is very weedless. I use mostly Maraboo. It billows out and breathes in the water and is very streamline when casting.

By the way, if any of you have any keel hooks you don't want any longer, I'll be glad to take them off your hands.

Aloha,
Stan