Brought a gun to a knife fight

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
It's been a long weekend. Saturday was a constant barrage of heavy downpours and storms. Sunday (today) was pretty much the same. Until, about 4:00 pm. Around 4, the front had mostly pushed to the east and it was starting to clear up. Starting. That just happened to be the same time my wife headed out for the next couple week's work.

It didn't take long for me to throw my gear in the car and take off. With all the rain, I figured the boat guys wouldn't have been out today to hit some rip-rap they fish hard. I do have an inflatable boat, but it's packed up, thinking we'd be moved by now. So, I'm a ground pounder and have to take what's given.

The lake was looking great.

I rigged up the 7-weight and took off down the trail. It didn't take long for the first fish of the day to hammer a deer hair diver. This fish just sipped it off the surface. I almost didn't set the hook thinking it was probably just a bream pulling it under. I'm glad I did set it.

Remember how I said it was just starting to clear up...... well, I got soaked.

The rain didn't slow down some boaters. I'd never seen this before. The girl behind the boat used a rope to get out of the water like she was wakeboarding. Once she was up, she got in the wake, dropped the rope and surfed. She went the whole length of the lake in front of me surfing. I thought it was pretty cool.

It was nice to see something other than washed up single use plastics and flip-flops along the rip-rap.

Gratuitous selfie. I've never been much of one for selfies, but I may just practice my selfie game on you guys with these reports.

A big storm had started to roll in. I made a bee-line for the car and by the time I got there, the storm and rolled on around without a threat. I decided to drop back down to the lake and make a few casts. It didn't take long and I was hooked-up again.

It was a great evening to slip out for a couple hours and catch a few fish. The wife just text and said she made it to her destination safely. All is well.

One more cast. This guy hit on the "last cast". I can't believe he got that fly in his mouth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Cool ‘shrooms and overly-ambitious smallmouth! I’ve never caught one of those on fly. Definitely need to fix that soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoThumbsUp

Reaction score
Cool ‘shrooms and overly-ambitious smallmouth! I’ve never caught one of those on fly. Definitely need to fix that soon!

I used to drive right by these things to catch 5" trout. I still do on occasion, but dang, these things are fun.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score

They are fantastic fly rod fish. Worth a trip to the Ozarks if there is not a locale near you that as them. Enjoy some serious trout fishing as well.

Great post, TwoThumbsUp.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I used to drive right by these things to catch 5" trout. I still do on occasion, but dang, these things are fun.

I have to admit, I wish there was a smallmouth stream close by here. We have smallies, but you have to be in the right lake.