Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bass fly line

1. Default Re: Bass fly line

Great thread. I'm in need of new line on my bass rod. Thanks to all for sharing.

Default Re: Bass fly line

Take a look at SA's Headstart lines. SA says they are great beginner's lines,
    but they're really a bass bug taper. I bought some because they were on sale, and really liked them. Regular price is around $45.

3. Likes itchmesir, fireroad, ted4887, wee hooker, N/A liked this post
  4. Default Re: Bass fly line

I am an avid SM fisher in a river that is a mile wide and 3 foot deep.
    Wind is also always a factor.
    I have tried most of the lines suggested. I still go back to my SA GPX for a floating line.
    On softer rods the bass tapers fold the tip when I have to much line in the
    air. The GPX had been a great line for both large buggers and clousers and such.It is not the cheapest line but you get what you pay for.

Brian

Has anyone tried the new Orvis Bass taper line. Gets great reviews. This is my first post on this forum. I would like to thank everyone in advance for sharing your knowledge with a beginner.
    Matt

After trying a ton of different lines I have found that Scientific Angler Air Cel Bass 7/8 is my fav. $25 bucks and it throws some big bugs. I prefer something that works over something with a "NAME" on it. But that's me.

Has anyone tried the new Orvis Bass taper line. Gets great reviews. This is my first post on this forum. I would like to thank everyone in advance for sharing your knowledge with a beginner.
    Matt

SA Titan taper for the win. I have landed up to 24inch large mouth on my 7wt, 20 inch smallies and several decent pike. Threws large streamers/deer hair frogs etc with ease and also lands "dry" flies like fat alberts and damsel flies nice too.

J-

This winter I bought a SA line that has a long rear taper, a short head, and a short front taper. Havent' had the chance yet to fish it but it casts great in the back yard. Sorry I can't remember the name of it but I think it is gonna work out well.

However I am not a huge fan of special lines. I have been known to just shorten the front taper of a line to help turn over heavy, bushy, or large flies and it does make a noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mroma522 View Post
    Matt
    I've got one. Good line. I'm not sure it's notably better than my other 8 wt lines with a short front taper. Bass bugging isn't demanding on a line. You just need good turnover.

That said, If i were the OP, I'd be wondering if a wf9F line might be a better choice before I thought about dropping north of $75 on a line. FWIW, My TFO Left Krey 8 wt throws a wf9F nicely to normal bass bugging distances. Its my go to rod for tossing bigger bugs.
    Last edited by wee hooker; 04-16-2015 at 05:52 PM.

I have a Cortland 333 Bass and a Pike line in an 8 and 9WT. Picked them up for very cheap on a closeout. Nothing particularly special needed to toss a bass bug a moderate distance. I wouldn't be afraid of the better Cabela's brand lines for this application. Save the $80 line for another time.

12. Likes ditz liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast