Bass fly line

aftershock

Reaction score
What are some brands of good fly line for Largemouth bass....I have a TFO 8wt and throw some big flys with it...therefore looking for a good line that with last awhile... any suggestions please?

arfishinbear

Reaction score
The SA bass lines are good and if your throwing realy big bugs try one of the name brand musky/pike tapers.
Bear

aftershock

Reaction score
Would the sharkskin Magnum Taper be over kill/ or not work wih my TFo Signature series rod?...thanks for the suggestions i will look into them

ezamora

Reaction score
i've got a buddy who is a gear whore and has countless rods, reels and lines. he suggested to me to get the rio clouser for our largemouth fishing in lakes (if i cared to go the premium line route). in this (my) beginner's eyes, it's not like you need a super premium delicate landing finely designed line for tossing big bass bugs, but that's just my take at this early stage of bass fishing. my bass fishing for LMs are generall close in and do not need a distance shooting line.

i was short on time, hastily wrapping a 7wt blank and i went with an inexpensive cortland 333 pro bass taper floating line in the 8wt size plus a separate 7wt line with a 10' sink tip, both about $35, and were waiting for me on the shelves in my local shop the day before my first bass trip so i didn't have much choice on short notice. i catch fish.... usually. lol

eric
fresno, ca.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Would the sharkskin Magnum Taper be over kill/ or not work wih my TFo Signature series rod?...thanks for the suggestions i will look into them
I have never fished a sharkskin, still trying to justafy 100 bucks for a line, some my rods I like and use didnt cost that much LOL I have heard they are great lines though, one of my buddies likes them so much he spooled his three go to rods with the shark skin. If you have the money and wnat the SS go for it.

GRN

Reaction score
I have tried Rio Clouser and Bass lines... neither did a lot for me. The only Bass specific line I've used that has really impressed me is the Sage Bass taper, for the 8wt you would want to try the 'Smallmouth' line.

FlySouth

Reaction score
I have an 8wt SA Bass Bug taper for my 8wt Sage Fli and I have a hard time throwing the heavier deer hair poppers.

Would the Sage Small mouth line be too heavy for a med-fast 8wt like the Fli? I understand this line is somewhere between a 9 and 10 wt. I dont want my rod to be so overloaded that it cant cast but would like to be able to move surface flies a little easier.

Any thoughts?

rausch51

Reaction score
Great thread. I'm in need of new line on my bass rod. Thanks to all for sharing.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Take a look at SA's Headstart lines. SA says they are great beginner's lines,
but they're really a bass bug taper. I bought some because they were on sale, and really liked them. Regular price is around $45.

skiezo

Reaction score
I am an avid SM fisher in a river that is a mile wide and 3 foot deep.
Wind is also always a factor.
I have tried most of the lines suggested. I still go back to my SA GPX for a floating line.
On softer rods the bass tapers fold the tip when I have to much line in the
air. The GPX had been a great line for both large buggers and clousers and such.It is not the cheapest line but you get what you pay for.

Brian

mroma522

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Orvis Bass taper line. Gets great reviews. This is my first post on this forum. I would like to thank everyone in advance for sharing your knowledge with a beginner.
Matt

mroma522

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Orvis Bass taper line. Gets great reviews. This is my first post on this forum. I would like to thank everyone in advance for sharing your knowledge with a beginner.
Matt

jjc155

Reaction score
SA Titan taper for the win. I have landed up to 24inch large mouth on my 7wt, 20 inch smallies and several decent pike. Threws large streamers/deer hair frogs etc with ease and also lands "dry" flies like fat alberts and damsel flies nice too.

J-

ditz

Reaction score
This winter I bought a SA line that has a long rear taper, a short head, and a short front taper. Havent' had the chance yet to fish it but it casts great in the back yard. Sorry I can't remember the name of it but I think it is gonna work out well.

However I am not a huge fan of special lines. I have been known to just shorten the front taper of a line to help turn over heavy, bushy, or large flies and it does make a noticeable difference.

wee hooker

Reaction score
Matt
I've got one. Good line. I'm not sure it's notably better than my other 8 wt lines with a short front taper. Bass bugging isn't demanding on a line. You just need good turnover.

That said, If i were the OP, I'd be wondering if a wf9F line might be a better choice before I thought about dropping north of $75 on a line. FWIW, My TFO Left Krey 8 wt throws a wf9F nicely to normal bass bugging distances. Its my go to rod for tossing bigger bugs.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have a Cortland 333 Bass and a Pike line in an 8 and 9WT. Picked them up for very cheap on a closeout. Nothing particularly special needed to toss a bass bug a moderate distance. I wouldn't be afraid of the better Cabela's brand lines for this application. Save the $80 line for another time.