Two at a time bass in the float tube

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Summer is here and the days are long and hot. Mrs. Bagels and I took the float tubes to a local pond to bob around and see what’s going on there. I brought my rod of course. After about an hour with no interest from any fish, my mind was drifting to weird, far out places, when a slurp engulfed my beetle. There was a surprising amount of pull for the size of bass I had seen briefly. As I pulled him in toward the tube, I saw a second flash and realized...his buddy had grabbed my bugger. My first ever double header on a fly rod. A 3 wt no less!

After this, there wasn’t much else happening. We had split up right off the bat and I didn’t realize my missus had landed and was taking a nap under some trees. I fished on and pulled in a couple of these.

This one had a bad eye, but was still able to grab the fly.

Others were more normal.

Since fishing was slow and we were both getting hungry, we split and headed home to make a pizza. My mind is drifting to the salt and I might make a trip down to the marsh next weekend. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danmarino

Reaction score
Cool report. I've never caught 2 fish on a surface fly with a dropper nymph. I'll have to give that a go this summer when I hit the river for smallmouth bass.

I've also never used a float tube before. I'm not sure if float tubes are allowed in some of the lakes and reservoirs I fish. How do you like the float tube, compared to fishing out of a kayak?

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
...How do you like the float tube, compared to fishing out of a kayak?
Thanks man! Personally, I prefer a tube to my kayak whenever possible. It’s totally hands-free, very portable, and much more maneuverable. It really is like fishing out of an easy chair. For bigger lakes when I want to cover lots of ground, the kayak wins by far. I use the tube only on lakes where I know where the fish are (hopefully). With no paddle to worry about and a small profile, I’m able to creep into tight spots without as much planning or contortion that seems to be inherent in my kayak adventures. Of course, that could be because I’m not the most coordinated guy! But I wouldn’t be without either my kayak or tube. I love them both!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Great report and photos, thanks for sharing!
I've never caught two fish on the the surface either, that had to be loads of fun.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
It was a blast! I’ve done it with spinning gear and poppers, but that was 2 bass on one bait. Also on crankbaits. Never on two separate flies! Hoping for a repeat next weekend.