Bass Rig for a Newbie?

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Last year I purchased a 3-piece Cortland combo at Dick's Sporting Goods. I can't remember the specifics, but it's possibly a 6/7 or 8WT. It was my first fly rod so I didn't pay real close attention. I saw the price and thought "Hey this will work!" I used it a little last season to catch some bluegills but I wanted to up it to giant bass this year. My question is, what is the best rig to use to go about this? I've been reading that for bass you should use 12-14lb backing, a 12-20lb 6' to 8' leader, and a 10-15lb 2'-3' tippet. Would I be able to put that heavy of a backing on my reel? Also, do I need to use a leader and tippet, or can I use just the heavy tippet attached to the backing? I could use some help as it's starting to warm up a tad in Cleveland and I think I'll be out there soon. What do you guys recommend? And be specific as possible as you're talking to a newbie. Love the sport though! Catching those bluegill was a ton of fun and bass has got to be that much better. Thanks for any help!

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
I just noticed that there is a post very similar to mine down the page a bit. I'll check there, but any other info you can provide is greatly appreciated.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
If I am useing a sinktip or sink line I use straight mono in 8-15 lb test. If I am useing a floating line I use Scientific Anglers 8ft bass leaders in 8-14 lb. Carry a spool of tipet with you in 8-14 lb and replace what you need when you break off or cut of changing flies when your tippet starts getting short. For backing I use a 20lb braid backing, I have had very few bass get into teh backing and I have caught many in the 5-7lb range. MY biggest on a fly was 8lbs 5oz and he only got into the backing one time for a minute.
If I am fishing real heavy weeds I do once in awhile go up to 20lb tippet but very seldom.
Bear

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Always there to help Bear, thanks a lot! Of course I'd be using the snake fly I want to make. Ha. But you're saying it isn't necessary to use a leader and tippet. Only use the tippet if the leader is getting worn. Got it. I'm sure I'll be using a floating line. Can you give me any specific dimensions for the line, leader, and tippet? In my notes, I show that I should have a 2X, .009" tippet as an example. Thanks again!

arfishinbear

Reaction score
You are welcome. The line should be a 7 or 8 wt line, depending on what you rod says, then with a floating line a 7 to 9 foot leader down to .015 -.009 depending on cover and size of fish you think you will catch and size of fly you are useing, if I am trhowing size6 or 4 bass buggs and light cover with small to med size bass I will use .009(8lb), if I am useing big bugs size 2-1/0 and a little heavier cover and biger bass I will go up .014(14lb). With your snake I would probaly go with a 7-8ft leader in .015(16lb).
The shorter heavier leader will help cast and turn over that big fly.
If your rod is only a size 6/7 you may play hell throwing that big ol' snake.
I have been looking all over the internet and places for some tails like on that snake I posted a pic of, no luck so far.
Bear

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Hi Bear, where did you post that picture? I guess I missed it.

Frank
Hey Frank,
It was in the foam for flies thread but hear it is again, have been looking to find the tail for this fly, I bought it at cabela's a couple years back and they dont carry the fly anymore.
Bear

Attachments

BigCliff

Reaction score
I think it is made from a yarn carried by some craft stores. It is alternately fatter and then skinnier. You'd want to strip the fuzz off the core starting at a point that matches the diameter of the foam head you're using, then lash that core to the hook shank before you coat the shank and wraps with super glue and quickly shove the foam head on. You'd then want to cut the yarn off at its skinniest and either tie a knot or fuse the core carefully with a lighter. (provided its a synthetic material)

I've not actually done all this, but I think that's how the process would have to work.

Another method for the tail would be to furl a tail from estaz or chenille. It would be the same diameter all the way back, but it would work and would be a bit simpler process. You can also make sinking worm-type flies by furling estaz for a tail, adding lead/brass eyes, and then wrapping the shank and eyes to form the body/head.

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Big Cliff,

Those are some great ideas! I was asking about making a snake fly for big bass and Bear was giving me some tips in another thread. This is one I haven't heard yet, but it sounds fairly easy. This would be a great way of keeping the fly light on the water. Thanks!

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I think it is made from a yarn carried by some craft stores. It is alternately fatter and then skinnier. You'd want to strip the fuzz off the core starting at a point that matches the diameter of the foam head you're using, then lash that core to the hook shank before you coat the shank and wraps with super glue and quickly shove the foam head on. You'd then want to cut the yarn off at its skinniest and either tie a knot or fuse the core carefully with a lighter. (provided its a synthetic material)

I've not actually done all this, but I think that's how the process would have to work.

Another method for the tail would be to furl a tail from estaz or chenille. It would be the same diameter all the way back, but it would work and would be a bit simpler process. You can also make sinking worm-type flies by furling estaz for a tail, adding lead/brass eyes, and then wrapping the shank and eyes to form the body/head.
Great thoughts Cliff, I'll see what I can come up with.
Bear

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Dang that is a good looking fly. I don't recall every seeing that material before.

Frank
Yes sir it is, I had one that was black also, caught some nice bass on it, but I lost it:icon_mad: , they look great in the water, slithering across lilly pads or beside a laydown.
Bear

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes sir it is, I had one that was black also, caught some nice bass on it, but I lost it:icon_mad: , they look great in the water, slithering across lilly pads or beside a laydown.
Bear

Hi Bear,

Where did you get the flies? I think it would be great for bass here in Florida.

Frank

jcl

Reaction score
I don't have the pattern handy, but in his book The Sunfishes, Jack Ellis offers what looks to me like a pretty good snake pattern. I haven't tried it.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Hi Bear,

Where did you get the flies? I think it would be great for bass here in Florida.

Frank
Hey Frank,
I bought them at Cabela's in KC, KS but they do not carry them anymore. I am fixing to check out the site RipTide jsut poested and see if I can get the stuff to ty them
Bear

BlakeInOH

Reaction score
Rip-Tide,

Good find sir! I'm buying the rat-tail fabric as we speak! Gonna get some big boys with these! Thanks!

Blake