Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Larger rods and bass flies?

Wading creeks, I use my 9'6" 6 weight Sage One w/ Orvis Power Taper. Fishing larger streams or smaller rivers, my 9' 7 weight TFO Mangrove with Rio SMB. Big rivers and lakes, sinking lines, etc: 9' 8 weight Scott Tidal with SA Bonefish. Sometimes in early fall, when the water is super low and crystal clear, I'll take my 5 weight and some small white streamers. But even then the 6 weight is a better pick.

A 9' 7 weight is probably the most versatile smallmouth bass rod. A 12" smallmouth is still fiesty enough to be fun on 7-8 weight rods, but my favorite is the 6 weight when I can get away with smaller, lighter patterns. I do typically upline the 6 weight with an Orvis Power Taper line when fishing for smallies, and that line is basically a 7 weight.

Default Re: Larger rods and bass flies?

We use 7 and 8 weights for smallmouth on the local rivers here because we throw very large flies for all sizes of smallmouths. Little fish will eat a big fly too, but of course we want the 16" to 21" smallmouth and that happens more often with the larger flies.

3. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Geezs Sparky
    It's like you're taking over the interweb
    You came up on my FB feed today too and it wasn't even with the same group as bigjim

I carry a 6wt and an 8wt in my canoe
    The 8wt is necessary as I generally fish the weedyist of ponds
    I fish mostly poppers as that's the most fun and fun is what it's all about
    Those pictured are size 2, but my bend-back divers are 3/0

Attachment 17928

What are those bugs made from? Looks kind of like pool noodle foam.

Ive not thought of using that, but it would be cheap and fairly easy to cut.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

I fish a pond like that occasionally. Its full of HUGE bowfin and they like a fly too. They also know where every snag and clump of weeds are. 8wt in that pond!

6. Likes Rip Tide liked this post

In Nor Cal we have a good population of LMB in the Sacramento Delta.

They have tournaments there and their is a tidal action too.

May is our best month for top water action.

We use an 8' to 9' fly rod with a medium tip power.

On a #6 weight rod we use a WF7F or WF8F Bass line which is good for medium size bugs.

For bigger flies we use a #7 line rod with a WF8F or WF9F Bass line.

Rio Outbound Short floating line works good too.

A floating line with a short head and a short front taper is good for top water bass.

Most use a short heavy 2 foot butt section and then a 4 - 6 foot piece of 15# mono.

Captain Kevin Doran - video

Quote Originally Posted by pcolapaddler View Post
    What are those bugs made from? Looks kind of like pool noodle foam.

Ive not thought of using that, but it would be cheap and fairly easy to cut.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.
    Those are made from scavenged lobster buoy foam which is quite a bit heftier than pool noodle
    I slice the buoys to length with a saw and then punch out the blanks with a sharpened piece of copper pipe.

IMGP0012.jpg

IMGP0011.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes ia_trouter, dennyk liked this post

Those are made from scavenged lobster buoy foam which is quite a bit heftier than pool noodle
    I slice the buoys to length with a saw and then punch out the blanks with a sharpened piece of copper pipe.

IMGP0012.jpg

IMGP0011.jpg
    Do you use a glue to hold the hook from spinning in the foam?

Quote Originally Posted by jzim View Post
    Do you use a glue to hold the hook from spinning in the foam?
    I tie my saltwater poppers on regular shank hooks and the bass poppers on kink shank hooks, but either way the shank first gets wrapped, back and forth in widely spaced spirals, with heavy thread to make a good glueing base.
    Then I cut a slot in the foam with a razor blade and dry fit the foam on the thread wraps to see how it sits.
    Next I'll cover the thread wraps with Krazy Glue and quickly position the foam on the shank, squeezing the slot shut.
    You gotta be quick as you only have a split second to get it right.

Sometimes I'll cover the foam head with epoxy, but that's not really necessary. They're plenty tough as is.
    If you look closely at the saltwater popper above, you can see that the tail is not attached to the hook shank. It's hot glued right into a hole melted with a hot bodkin in the foam. I do that so as to not waste space on the hook shank

These all have double mono weed guards

IMGP0001.jpg
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-10-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes ia_trouter, fr8dog, bigjim5589 liked this post

I tie my saltwater poppers on regular shank hooks and the bass poppers on kink shank hooks, but either way the shank first gets wrapped, back and forth in widely spaced spirals, with heavy thread to make a good glueing base.
    Then I cut a slot in the foam with a razor blade and dry fit the foam on the thread wraps to see how it sits.
    Next I'll cover the thread wraps with Krazy Glue and quickly position the foam on the shank, squeezing the slot shut.
    You gotta be quick as you only have a split second to get it right.

Sometimes I'll cover the foam head with epoxy, but that's not really necessary. They're plenty tough as is.
    If you look closely at the saltwater popper above, you can see that the tail is not attached to the hook shank. It's hot glued right into a hole melted with a hot bodkin in the foam. I do that so as to not waste space on the hook shank

These all have double mono weed guards

IMGP0001.jpg
    Great info. Thanks.

7 1/2' 7/8 Cabelas CGR for freshwater bass. Fortunate to have a nice pond in my neighborhood. Not using it in this picture though.

9' 9/10 Cortland GRF1000XP for stripers (on the Chesapeake Bay).

IMG_1024.jpg
    Last edited by melikou1; 08-12-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12