Chain Pickerel

spanky

Reaction score
I do believe in Texas we call them Grinnel, why I don't know........anyway is there a fly out there that works good on them? I do understand that they react to a lot of flash, hence I have caught them off a spinner bait. Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

kevino

Reaction score
Here in NC they're called Jackfish or Jack Pike.

I'm looking forward to catching some pickerel on the fly (I'm a beginner). I've caught many on med light spinnnig gear with Rapala minnows, in line spinners and plastic worms.

This summer I'm going to try clouser minnows and bass bugs.

I've heard a few fisherman at my local lake say "poke your pliers through the head and throw them on the bank if you catch one". I just don't understand that mentality. These fish are agressive, fight like the dickens and in most cases have some awesome coloration. They're basically little pike and a lot of fun on light tackle.

Heck, I'll let the tournament anglers go after all the bass. I'd be happy hooking into pickerel and carp all day! :icon_cool

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Except for a short period just after ice-out, I can't say that I fish for them much on purpose.
They are very aggressive..... but I wouldn't say that they fight well.
Besides, they're slimey and excel at biting off flies.
When I do fish for them I use flies that are the 'daredevil' colors
Red/white, red/yellow, green/yellow and black.
I use a fly of my own design that's somewhat similar to a 'seaducer' or a tarpon style fly, but tied with the tail 'cocked' for more action.

We'll have ice-out around here in around 3-4 weeks and I'll go out for them a time or two just to get out.
They don't mind the cold and the larger ones seem to be on the prowl early

BigCliff

Reaction score
Fairly sure a Grinnel is actually a Bowfin. Both are found in the same waters, but a Bowfin is a whole 'nother critter altogether.

jdorsey61

Reaction score
Cliff's right - a bowfin (also known as grinnel, dogfish, cypress trout, cotton fish, mudfish) is not a pickerel. There are three basic models of pickerel: grass, chain, and redfin. The chain pickerel is the one most anglers are familiar with, the other two being pretty small on average. I would recommend trying any pattern you would use for largemouth (including surface flies), with special emphasis on red/white and yellow/red combinations, with some flash. From my experience, they like a fast moving target.

spanky

Reaction score
Cliff's right - a bowfin (also known as grinnel, dogfish, cypress trout, cotton fish, mudfish) is not a pickerel. There are three basic models of pickerel: grass, chain, and redfin. The chain pickerel is the one most anglers are familiar with, the other two being pretty small on average. I would recommend trying any pattern you would use for largemouth (including surface flies), with special emphasis on red/white and yellow/red combinations, with some flash. From my experience, they like a fast moving target.

I stand corrected, you are right they are a bowfin. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

FlyFisherMann

Reaction score
Chain Pickerel here in New Brunswick are so much fun on the fly rod and will take a go at just about anything you throw at them, most of the time, but not always.

We it the water with our float tubes and get into some really great spots that anything wider than a canoe just wouldn't get to so we can hit a lot of areas that don't get a lot of fishing, especially as the water drops.

I tried to leave a picture a Chain Pickerel but when I tried all I could see was the link and not the image it's self.

I have found that any artificial fly I tie for Chain Pickerel that has a bright red head or butt, not usually both, works great. I have had them grab the fly and fight all the way back to the float tube without even being hooked. They just won't let go. It's kind of like when my pitbull chomps onto a stick, she just won't let go unless it's her idea to let go. :)

Looking forward to this years fly fishing. I have two float tubes and one new fishing buddy that has never experienced fishing from a float tube.

MikeG

Reaction score
If Chain Pickerel are anything like Northern Pike than clousers, streamers, and large wooly buggers will work. Also use tyger leader material, attach to the fly using a foot long section then tie it to your leader. Tyger is a stainless steel knottable Leader designed to handle toothy fish. I use it for pike and muskie on the fly.

bass_man

Reaction score
Here in NC they're called Jackfish or Jack Pike.

I'm looking forward to catching some pickerel on the fly (I'm a beginner). I've caught many on med light spinnnig gear with Rapala minnows, in line spinners and plastic worms.

This summer I'm going to try clouser minnows and bass bugs.

I've heard a few fisherman at my local lake say "poke your pliers through the head and throw them on the bank if you catch one". I just don't understand that mentality. These fish are agressive, fight like the dickens and in most cases have some awesome coloration. They're basically little pike and a lot of fun on light tackle.

Heck, I'll let the tournament anglers go after all the bass. I'd be happy hooking into pickerel and carp all day! :icon_cool
2X Good fighters

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Went fly fishing for first time today small pickerel on a #6 popper,I think I'm hooked. Great fun :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

sxm

Reaction score
For all that mouth full of teeth, not much of a fight. Bad habit of going to shallower water and making the line really go slack. Big problem is that they can go right through a leader. Because I don't know if I'll catch one or not, I'm forced to do all fishing in the lake with an Orvis haywire attached at the end of the leader. Doesn't affect casting, and makes for quick fly change.

patyer

Reaction score
I've been fishing for them at my family lake house for about 20 years. They are very aggressive and any big flashy fly they will slam. I've caught them on just about every streamer or popper I own. They usually put the fly right into their gills. A real fast retrieve and barbless hooks minimizes the damage. The bigger ones put up a nice fight but they are so aggressive and thick in the lake that I will purposely avoid catching one if I see it following when I'm targeting other species.