Streamer Fly Box Recommendation

NJ Catch and Release

Reaction score
I am just starting to get into fly fishing for pike and would like to know what do you use to hold your large streamers? I will be fishing out of a kayak mostly. I tried to do some research and it seems like the Cliff Bugger box is used a lot. Anyone use anything else? What about just Plano boxes?

okaloosa

Reaction score
Plan D streamer boxes...esp the articulated boxes with hooks...here is the small one I keep in my vest.

flybox.jpg

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
If you are gonna carry one, than carry a smaller one. I have both sizes the big one should be ample in a kayak. I also have both these sling packs and easily put the bigger box in the larger pack. But get a couple of the smaller cliff bugger for carrying streamers, the large one gets cumbersome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
+1 to the Plan D and Bugger Barn boxes. I would add the Fishpond Sushi Roll to the list.

SUSHI-3.jpg

You can't go wrong with the old reliable clear Plano box.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I have both of those big Cliff boxes that I use mostly for storing streamers that I am not using. When I go out in my kayak I take a handful of flies that I will probably actually use and put them in a Morrell foam box. It fits snuggly in a little storage compartment next to my seat, and it will float. But I am not one who changes flies that frequently. If you do, the big yellow Cliff box will likely hold everything you need.

boisker

Reaction score
Those kayak/ drift boat large boxes you guys use crack me up :p
I backpacked around Europe for 2 months with less luggage:D:D:D

ryc72

Reaction score
I just use the plain Plano boxes with the customizable slots. I have them in 3 different sizes. Works pretty well. Let’s you carry a lot of flies without the bulk. There is some untangling that needs to be done as the fur and fibers do get caught on hooks and digging that needs to happen for flies at the bottom but I’m still at the phase where I’d rather carry more flies and deal with that than carry fewer flies without the little tangles and digging. One thing you really do have to be super careful with though is if you have the box open best to do it over water in case you drop it or flip it over as the flies aren’t secure in any foam or silicone and will go everywhere. Best of all the boxes only cost ~$6 at bass pro or Walmart.

Last edited:

fr8dog

Reaction score
I just use the plain Plano boxes with the customizable slots. I have them in 3 different sizes. Works pretty well. Let’s you carry a lot of flies without the bulk. There is some untangling that needs to be done as the fur and fibers do get caught on hooks and digging that needs to happen for flies at the bottom but I’m still at the phase where I’d rather carry more flies and deal with that than carry fewer flies without the little tangles and digging. One thing you really do have to be super careful with though is if you have the box open best to do it over water in case you drop it or flip it over as the flies aren’t secure in any foam or silicone and will go everywhere. Best of all the boxes only cost ~$6 at bass pro or Walmart.
I use the Plano boxes also. Adjust the sizes to what I need and don’t overfill them. I keep a small box handy to store the wet ones rather than toss them back in the main container. Let them dry and then put them away later.

NJ Catch and Release

Reaction score
I use these boxes from Hobby Lobby.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Storage-Organization/Storage/Large-Quick-View-Carry-Case/p/6545
View attachment 18782

They sell inexpensive 1/4 inch foam that can be cut and glued inside and on the outer cover to hook the flies into.

They work great and cost under $17 to make.Room for many large streamers.
I was thinking about doing something like that too. I like the idea, I'm gonna have to hit the hobby shop.

sixwtslinger

Reaction score
A 3500 series plano is just about the same size as a traditional large fly box .
I use a mix of both in my kayak bag as they switch out interchangeably. You can put ALLOT of flies /bugs/poppers in a plano 3500. Just be sure to sort them by type, size, etc. so you keep them organized. That also makes it easy to swap out different box's based on the days plan, location, season etc.

FWIW, I use a 3500 series tackle bag to hold all 4-5 box's and gear ( in the pockets). Keeps things well organized and versitile. Works well for my warm and saltwater fishing needs anyway.