Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Streamer Fly Box Recommendation

I am just starting to get into fly fishing for pike and would like to know what do you use to hold your large streamers? I will be fishing out of a kayak mostly. I tried to do some research and it seems like the Cliff Bugger box is used a lot. Anyone use anything else? What about just Plano boxes?

Default Re: Streamer Fly Box Recommendation

Plan D streamer boxes...esp the articulated boxes with hooks...here is the small one I keep in my vest.

flybox.jpg

3. Likes Flyrod Buddy, flytie09 liked this post

If you are gonna carry one, than carry a smaller one. I have both sizes the big one should be ample in a kayak. I also have both these sling packs and easily put the bigger box in the larger pack. But get a couple of the smaller cliff bugger for carrying streamers, the large one gets cumbersome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Likes ejsell liked this post

+1 to the Plan D and Bugger Barn boxes. I would add the Fishpond Sushi Roll to the list.

SUSHI-3.jpg

You can't go wrong with the old reliable clear Plano box.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

I have both of those big Cliff boxes that I use mostly for storing streamers that I am not using. When I go out in my kayak I take a handful of flies that I will probably actually use and put them in a Morrell foam box. It fits snuggly in a little storage compartment next to my seat, and it will float. But I am not one who changes flies that frequently. If you do, the big yellow Cliff box will likely hold everything you need.

8. Likes Flyrod Buddy liked this post

Those kayak/ drift boat large boxes you guys use crack me up
    I backpacked around Europe for 2 months with less luggage

10. Likes okaloosa, flytie09 liked this post

I just use the plain Plano boxes with the customizable slots. I have them in 3 different sizes. Works pretty well. Letís you carry a lot of flies without the bulk. There is some untangling that needs to be done as the fur and fibers do get caught on hooks and digging that needs to happen for flies at the bottom but Iím still at the phase where Iíd rather carry more flies and deal with that than carry fewer flies without the little tangles and digging. One thing you really do have to be super careful with though is if you have the box open best to do it over water in case you drop it or flip it over as the flies arenít secure in any foam or silicone and will go everywhere. Best of all the boxes only cost ~$6 at bass pro or Walmart.
    Last edited by ryc72; 09-09-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Addition.

Quote Originally Posted by ryc72 View Post
    I just use the plain Plano boxes with the customizable slots. I have them in 3 different sizes. Works pretty well. Let’s you carry a lot of flies without the bulk. There is some untangling that needs to be done as the fur and fibers do get caught on hooks and digging that needs to happen for flies at the bottom but I’m still at the phase where I’d rather carry more flies and deal with that than carry fewer flies without the little tangles and digging. One thing you really do have to be super careful with though is if you have the box open best to do it over water in case you drop it or flip it over as the flies aren’t secure in any foam or silicone and will go everywhere. Best of all the boxes only cost ~$6 at bass pro or Walmart.
    I use the Plano boxes also. Adjust the sizes to what I need and don’t overfill them. I keep a small box handy to store the wet ones rather than toss them back in the main container. Let them dry and then put them away later.

I use these boxes from Hobby Lobby.
    https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Suppl...ry-Case/p/6545
    442392-0116[5].jpg

They sell inexpensive 1/4 inch foam that can be cut and glued inside and on the outer cover to hook the flies into.

They work great and cost under $17 to make.Room for many large streamers.
    -Steve

"There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm."-Patrick f. McManus

14. Likes sixwtslinger liked this post
  15. Default Re: Streamer Fly Box Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckysteve View Post
    I use these boxes from Hobby Lobby.
    https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Suppl...ry-Case/p/6545
    442392-0116[5].jpg

They sell inexpensive 1/4 inch foam that can be cut and glued inside and on the outer cover to hook the flies into.

They work great and cost under $17 to make.Room for many large streamers.
    I was thinking about doing something like that too. I like the idea, I'm gonna have to hit the hobby shop.

16. Likes kentuckysteve liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast