Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Rio Big Nasty for smallmouth?

Quote Originally Posted by sixwtslinger View Post
    Still,if I could only have one rod/line for bass, I'd go with a floating setup as It's just too much fun to get them on top.
    True. Also, I find using a sinking line to be a bit of a pain in the neck. But it is effective.

So after a morning on the lake catching absolutely nothing, I decided to throw a #10 Wooly at the boat ramp to at least hook a few sunnies.
    Netted a nice 2 pound large mouth on my third cast.
    I haven't made it to the Orvis store yet and was using 6wt trout line that just didnt make casting bigger flies a lot of fun.

As the clouds cleared the fish went deeper. I couldnt get deep enough.

What are your thoughts on poly leaders? Airflow makes a 4ft fast sinking, bass specific one. Should I pick that up?

Nice surprise on the bass!

I don't have any experience with that specific leader but would wonder how effective and or flexable a single 4' section of a class three sinker is going to be for getting you past 3-4' deep. I'd also be interested to hear fro someone who fish's one.

Anyway, while I'm sure there are plenty of plenty of options that will work. I've always been partial to the Cortland mini-head kits. THey come in different sinkrates and include 12' of leader and loops to attach them for around ($15) I generally cut mine up into three (2, 4 and 6') sections and loop them together as the situation of current an depth dictates. I've used them for cold,warm and saltwater fishing over the years.

BTW, did you mention what reel you have? If a spare spool is not too expensive, you might invest in a spare spool and a decent sinking / sink tip line. I just bought another brand new wf6F/S Cortland 444 with 30' class III head for $22 off THE bay. I find these work pretty well for streamer fishing for bass

Quote Originally Posted by sixwtslinger View Post
    Nice surprise on the bass!

I don't have any experience with that specific leader but would wonder how effective and or flexable a single 4' section of a class three sinker is going to be for getting you past 3-4' deep. I'd also be interested to hear fro someone who fish's one.

Anyway, while I'm sure there are plenty of plenty of options that will work. I've always been partial to the Cortland mini-head kits. THey come in different sinkrates and include 12' of leader and loops to attach them for around ($15) I generally cut mine up into three (2, 4 and 6') sections and loop them together as the situation of current an depth dictates. I've used them for cold,warm and saltwater fishing over the years.

BTW, did you mention what reel you have? If a spare spool is not too expensive, you might invest in a spare spool and a decent sinking / sink tip line. I just bought another brand new wf6F/S Cortland 444 with 30' class III head for $22 off THE bay. I find these work pretty well for streamer fishing for bass
    Thise mini head kits might be what I'm looking for.

I'm using a Clearwater 7-9 size. The spool is about $50.
    I dont know if I really love that reel yet, it's a bit large for the rod.
    I found that line of the bay, may be worth picking that up for future use just for the hell of it.

Wow is about all I can say for the information in this thread. Like alot of you most of my fly fishing has been for trout but I have an old Fenwick 8ft 6wt that I'm gonna start out with. Just bought the Hydros Bass on sale for $29 figure wth got any reason to go now.
    Every book is a children's book if the kid can read. - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123