Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Choking Bass on a Popper

I have run into this on a few occasions. I was fishing a medium sized popper today and a bass blew up on it. Set on him and get him in and the hook is pretty deep. He didn't really swallow it but was bleeding everywhere. It almost seemed like when he sucked it in it may have gotten in the gill area initially and maybe that is where the blood was coming from. I really hate when that happens. Caught 6 smaller fish today and they were hooked fine. It seems like it happens with the bigger fish with the smaller poppers. The one that bad was around 2 pounds. Anyone know any tips to prevent this? Use a bigger popper maybe?

Default Re: Choking Bass on a Popper

When this happens keeping them in the water helps the gill injuries heal. Unhook them until they recover cradle them in the water. The water helps the blood clot. I am sure they get their gills injured other ways and recover. I've seen a bass with its gill plate removed and it had been that way for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. Thanks philip43 thanked for this post
    Likes csangler liked this post

I don't know of any way to stop it. By the nature of how a bass eats by sucking in their prey creates the problem of deep hooked fish. The only thing I can recommend is to smash your barbs. It'll help with unhooking from a row of gills. If it's bleeding real bad, and legal, you can rub it down in pesto and grill it whole. Tastes delicious. Just saying.
    *Disclaimer, I don't always know what I'm talking about.

I have to disagree with buddy
    A fish bleeding from it's gills is a goner no matter how much you'd like to think that's not true

What works for me is to push the bug in further with your finger, a stick or what have you to disengage the hook point
    Beyond that, I never use anything smaller than a size 6 which I consider to be a "fence rider"
    Small enough for worthy pan fish and large enough to entice a decent bass.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

6. Likes Flyrod Buddy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I have to disagree with buddy
    A fish bleeding from it's gills is a goner no matter how much you'd like to think that's not true

What works for me is to push the bug in further with your finger, a stick or what have you to disengage the hook point
    Beyond that, I never use anything smaller than a size 6 which I consider to be a "fence rider"
    Small enough for worthy pan fish and large enough to entice a decent bass.
    Yes but getting them into the water is pretty much the protocol on saving a gill caught bass, and what your saying really isn't disagreeing with me because gill caught fish isn't a guaranteed death sentence but a high possibility.

Trout that are hooked in the tongue bleed profusely. I have been told by fisheries people that even though the fish swims off appearing to be OK they most like succumb to the injury.

9. Likes Flyrod Buddy liked this post

So it's a **** shoot to revive a bleeding fish

I think the best solution for a gill hooked bass is a fried fish sandwich with some jalapeno coleslaw, a slice of the reddest tomato you can find, and a little malt vinegar...

12. Likes TwoThumbsUp liked this post

I tend to mash the barbs down on most of my bass bugging hooks for that reason. If they hook deply, it's allot easier to back the bug out (with less damage) with a set of hemostats.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrod Buddy View Post
    So it's a **** shoot to revive a bleeding fish
    Go ahead and release them if you want. Raccoons and crayfish have to eat too.

On one river that I fish, bass are considered invasive pests
    You're encouraged to toss any you may catch in the bushes
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast