Sage Payload thoughts?

jrob

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a new Sage Payload to cover my bass/warm water large fly situations. I am in East Texas where cover is abundant and bass grow large. Looking into the 8wt. Anyone have any thoughts on this rod , or the series. Thank you and God bless.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
My experience with the series is pretty limited--I've cast the 7 wt briefly on two occasions--but FWIW...

The first time I cast the rod was with a couple of other mid-priced 7 wts. At the time I didn't know anything about the rod, and cast it because of the price point and that it was new. Of the rods I cast it against, I thought the Payload was the best looking/crafted, but in terms of casting it was my least favorite - actually, I didn't care for it at all. I don't know the specific line I tried, but the shop had said it was a true to weight 7 wt.

I then looked at Sage's website, and saw that the rods are designed for aggressive, over-weighted tapers like the Rio Jungle/OBS and SA Titan/Jungle Titan. So in retrospect it wasn't surprising that the test line didn't load the rod well.

A few weeks later I was casting a couple of 8 wts at a different place. The shop employee raved about the Payload 7 (that was the only model they had) and suggested I try it with an 8 wt line (I think it was a bonefish taper). I don't recall the exact feel and I didn't try any short casts, but it was a real rocket launcher (though I was just casting a piece of yarn) and I recall thinking it would do great in the wind. But I also recall thinking it probably would cast better with a 9, or one of those overweighted lines mentioned above with a 7 on the box.

As I said my experience with the rod is quite limited. Based on my brief casting I don't think I'd consider it a presentation rod, but if you're looking for something to throw large streamers or poppers I think it would do the job quite well. But I do think line pairing is important, and if you're thinking about the 8 wt because of how you view a typical 8 wt then you might consider the 7, which to me seemed like at least an 8 and perhaps a 9. So I would expect the 8 may be more of a 9-10.

jrob

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I'm looking at it for its deigned purpose. Chunk large flies to angry east Texas bass and yank them from cover. I could understand the shock casting the 7 as a comparison to other 7wt rods! From what I have read line pairing is important with the rod. Sage suggest Rio directcore jungle intermediate for warm water with the 8wt.

VaFisherman

Reaction score
My thoughts are that rod model is a 10wt rod marked as a 8wt if it needs a 280gr head to cast. Just more hype. Buy a true 10wt if you need a 10wt, it will most likely cast much smoother. We throw huge flies to smallmouth here, 5 to 6 inches plus, and do it with 7wt, 8wt and on occasion 9wt rods that are loaded with lines on 1/2 oversized in line grains.

Hunter Gathers

Reaction score
I picked up the 7wt for primarily smallmouth, but will also target largemouth and pike with it. I can't anything that hasn't already been said above, especially since I haven't fished it yet, but I will say two things:

1) I believe on the rod or in the literature they're presented as 7.5 wt, 8.5wt, etc. So I think the 7wt might suit you just right.

2) I asked the guys at Telluride Angler and ReelFlyRod what lines they suggested and both said the RIO InTouch OutBound Short Fly Line series seemed best.

I'm in northern Illinois, so using this rod in the immediate future won't be a reality, but I'd love to hear a report if/when you pick one up!

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm looking at it for its deigned purpose. Chunk large flies to angry east Texas bass and yank them from cover. Sage suggest Rio directcore jungle intermediate for warm water with the 8wt.
Not trying to steer you away from the Payload, but if you're still in the research phase you might want to read up on the Winston Jungle Rods and, if you like what you find, see if you can a find a leftover closeout. From the prices I recall seeing, they could be found for about the same or even a bit less than the Payload. The Jungle 8 wt was offered in both 8'9" and 9' lengths. I cast the 9' 8 wt. It swung a bit heavy (not surprising because the rod was designed with extra strong butt and reinforced ferrules), but it was a canon with the right line and would certainly handle what you're looking for it to do. I suspect the 8'9" would swing quite a bit lighter and would be my preferred choice if you could find one.

As for the line, you might want to also check out the SA Jungle Titan. It's pretty similar to the Rio Jungle. After comparing the two lines I opted for the Rio (my recollection is that it had the weight a bit further back and so I thought it might be better at carrying a bit more line in the air), but I would think the SA would be great too. Again, nothing against the Rio (as mentioned it was my preferred choice), just mentioning an alternative--can't imagine that the Sage guys would suggest anything but a Rio given the common ownership.

Good luck to you!

gooner

Reaction score
I picked up the 7wt for primarily smallmouth, but will also target largemouth and pike with it. I can't anything that hasn't already been said above, especially since I haven't fished it yet, but I will say two things:

1) I believe on the rod or in the literature they're presented as 7.5 wt, 8.5wt, etc. So I think the 7wt might suit you just right.

2) I asked the guys at Telluride Angler and ReelFlyRod what lines they suggested and both said the RIO InTouch OutBound Short Fly Line series seemed best.

I'm in northern Illinois, so using this rod in the immediate future won't be a reality, but I'd love to hear a report if/when you pick one up!
Hello! i am intrested in the 8wt payload for seabass fishing and blind distance casting for streamers up to 5 inches! i am intrested tyo match it either with an outbound short 8wt or coastal quickshooter xp. Any thoughts?

rufcaptain

Reaction score
I finally received my Payload 8+, ordered in December, well worth the wait. It works well for its intended purpose, big flies with heavy sink tip lines, pick up and go casting. I did not care for it the first time I cast, not a rod to sit there and false cast, but with the right line it’s totally different. I use it for stripers and big mouths.

jrob

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and ordered the 6+. Felt it was a safe play for the “lighter” side of the lineup and fun to fish factor. Be here on Monday or Tuesday. Pairing it with a 7/8 hunter orange behemoth reel and 7wt bonefish quickshooter.

quattro

Reaction score
I have the 6wt paired with OPST commando smooth integrated 225g. Real rocket launcher for bass flies.

jrob

Reaction score
Thank you for the info Quattro. How do you like that line pairing on the 6wt? Try any other lines before landing on that one?

quattro

Reaction score
Yes - very happy with the OPST. Previously tried the rio big nasty in 6 and 7 weight as well as a 6 wt outbound shout. OPST was the winner.