EASY and good bream fly

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I picked this pattern up from a guy in NW MO. years ago. It's a very easy but very effective fly for bream and crappie, I have even caught some nice bass on it. The trick to this fly is to get the weight on at the back of the hook so it falls hook eye up and the rubber wiggles as it falls and not to much weight, you want it to fall slow. I usally use .15 wire and only put 4-5 wraps on it. Also I have found its a good idea to put a drop of glue on the legs when u wrap then on.
The hook I used for these was a TMC 3761 I have found a 2xl hook helps keep the bream from swallowing it as bad as thus easier to get the hook out.
Bear

Attachments

Dixiejack

Reaction score
Good looking fly. I do a lot of bream & crappie fishing in addition to bass. This would be a good fly to start tying with. Would you post a list of materials you used for the body? Now I need to figure out what equipment I need. The 1st fly would probably cost me a couple hundred bucks.

I have been wanting to get into fly tying but flies are usually so cheap. The only problem by not tying is that your fly comes along and there nothing like it on the market. I was thinking how this fly would work on a weedless hook.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Be glad to bud.
The hook is a TMC 3761 but any 2 extra long hook will work I use size 8-12
A weedless hook would be great, I cant find any small enough for bream, but you can make a weed guard with mono tied to the bend of the hook wraped around to the eye.
The body is just small chenille and a few wraps of .15 lead wire at the back
and the legs are small rubber strips.
It is a very easy fly to learn to ty and very simple to fish just cast it out and let it sink slow and then strip in a couple strips and let it sink again.
If ya have any ?'s on tying give me a holler be glad to help if I can.
Bear

bono

Reaction score
like your idea of the weed guard, no problem hooking bule gills (pa slang) what pound test for the guard.thanks again

BONO

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I have not used the weed guard but a couple times and it didnt seem to hurt the hook up ratio, I use 20lb for those so I can get a better hook set, I do the same weed guard on bass bugs but go to 30-40 lb mono
Bear

pszy22

Reaction score
Great minds think alike!

Bear, your fly looks very similar to a fly popularized by Terry & Roxanne Wilson. They call their fly Bully's Bluegill Spider -

The Bluegill Pond - Bully's Bluegill Spider - Yellow (Powered by CubeCart)

It's a very popular and effective fly for subsurface bluegills. As Bear pointed out, the secret is where to put the weight.

This page has a pretty good video showing the tying sequence -

Bully's Bluegill Spider Fly Tying Video - Adventures in Fly Tying with Fly Fish Ohio

Tracker12

Reaction score
That bluegill spider is awsome. I picked up a few and fished them the last two nights. I used a Betts mini popper as the dropper fly and tied on the Spider about 18" behind. The blue was all over these combo. The spider was weighted enough to pull the popper down very slowly. Besides the bluegills I caught I also caught several crappie and 1/2 dozen or so of bass. I was using fishing the yellow tonight but had similar results yesterday with olive.