Chubs????

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
I have learned that a river near my house contains chubs, which I caught during by early long-rod days......by dunking worms:icon_redf. My question is what flies should I use for these fish???? I assume they're bottom feeders by the shape of the mouth, and the river is decently muddy. Muddy enough that there is only a couple of places where I'd even think nymphs, and dries are pretty much out of the question in most areas. I figure that these fish are using their sense of smell to locate worms, grubs, and anythig else tht comes drifting down through the water.The waters a foot maybe a foot and a half visibility in the uppers stretches of the river, but I don't know theres fish in there, as I have never seen or caught,( ok, I prefished with worms:p I wasn't willing to take a long rod to a river like that without good reason,LOL. Besides, sometims its fun to grap a spinning rod, a can of worms and just go wet wading for chubs, bluegills or whatever, except for trout. ), anything up there. What flies should I use???

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Chubs will whack dry flies too, so anything you would use for a trout dry should work once the water clears up a bit--- it doesn't have to be crystal clear. They're usually not as picky as trout so something that floats well and is sturdy would be good in size 14-16. Good luck!

mark

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi,chubs are good companions for flyfishermen,they will take both dry and nymphs,for sure it'll be better when the water gets clear.They usually prefer dark flies on 14 or 16 hooks same for the nymphs.Fishing chubs on both techniques is great fun for it's a very supicious fish with a fantastic eyesight,it's big mouth is a good help when you fish it on light nymph on sight because you'll see when it opens and.... then closes it!
here some of the ones I use.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Me again,I don't know if there are big ones in your river...here we can catch chubs up to 55cm and 2 kilos!but they're not as good fighters as trout of the same size....

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!! This has been helpful:biggrin: Would this work for a chub dryAn extremely lifelike foam wasp from Bulgaria - Shark's Wasp - The sting - Global FlyFisher????

jbbfly, are we talkin' 'bout the same fish??? The kind I catch are usually long and semi-thin in body, have a carp-like mouth and a 9inch fish is big. Do they just get bigger where you are or............ They fight by snapping their body in a series of s or c turns. Feels good on a rod.

( 9inches would be like 22 cm)

Steelhead Junkie

Reaction score
Also, would they hit streamers???? By the look of their mouth, I'd doubt it, but I can fish a streamer pretty confidently. I can also cover water with 'em, and it is not hard to detect a strike on 'em.

MikeG

Reaction score
They will go for almost anything as long as it is near or on the bottom. We even took a small weighted undressed hook and put a piece of gum on it and the chubs went after that.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I have caught some big creek chubs on streamers. If it is muddy fish light feathers with silver tinsel body or black buggers.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
We have 'creek chubs' around here, but their larger cousins the 'fall fish' are more common.
They'll take any fly that a trout might and more.
I gotten them up to 14 inches

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
up here....chub/aka Fallfish can get huge!!!! In know people whio eat them in spring before they get muddy tasting.

I have hooked a bushel or two on PT nymphs and red copper johns.

FlyRichardFly

Reaction score
We have 'creek chubs' around here, but their larger cousins the 'fall fish' are more common.
They'll take any fly that a trout might and more.
I gotten them up to 14 inches

I've caught Fallfish up to 20" in the Susquehanna. They will attack any streamer size 4 or under with gusto!
The Fallfish are overtaking the smallmouth bass in the Susquehanna river. That's OK with me...... they are wonderful to catch on a flyrod.
Carp and Cats with my 8wt and Chubs and Rockbass with my 5wt!
That's fine with me. All the Smallmouth could die in the polluted river, but if Chubs and Carp remain....... well, so be it!
I'm just very careful not to get any river water in my body! A good soapy shower should wash the E-coli off when I wet wade. If I accidentally drink some river water, I'll just quickly go to the Hospital for some shots.
My how the freshwater streams have changed in the last few years!

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'm just very careful not to get any river water in my body! A good soapy shower should wash the E-coli off when I wet wade. If I accidentally drink some river water, I'll just quickly go to the Hospital for some shots.
My how the freshwater streams have changed in the last few years!
There's a tidal stream one mile from my driveway, and I feel the same way.
I actually duck during casting to avoid any drops of water hitting my face:eek::icon_mrgr. The local kids swim there all the time, however, and
kayakers come out of that section soaked head to toe. I dunno.....