Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

1. Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

when ifish for smallmouth i usally use a 5 wt. bamboo 8.6 rod that imade on a payne taper works really great and i love a lighter line rod, just my preference. regards yellowhammer

2. Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

where i fish, my biggest bass, caught on spinning gear, was about 4.5 pounds. i would imagine the average would be 1.5-2.5. i am relatively new to fly fishing, but it seems from what i have read here, a 6wt will be fine for targeting fish up to my biggest. i appreciate the input....rap

3. Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

[QUOTE=FrankB2;60743]When I'm targeting smallmouth, I usually use a Clouser tied on a #10 Mustad
    bass bug hook. I use the same hooks to tie dear hair poppers, but usually
    go sub-surface for smallmouth. The biggest smallmouth I catch are in the
    16" range, and I've never seen anything a whole lot bigger caught in this
    part of Pennsylvania.

This LMB took a #10 Wooly Bugger, and was caught on a 9' 5wt Z-Axis:

Frank very nice largemouth!!!! good going on that fish!!!

Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

Quote Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
    Dang... I ain't learned or figured out nothin' in the past 25 years!

From 20" + smallies in Lake Saint Clair to many floats a year on the New River you would think I would have figured out by now that tossing big harry bugs a good way is better with a 5 or 6 weight!

Maybe it's just me (and Bob Clouser) but I found big smallies eat big food, thus the heavier line weight for tossing that food.
    when i'm lake fishing for bass, i use 8wt's, jackster. but most of my smallie fishing is done in creeks and smaller rivers, and a 20" smallie would be a HAWG!

I fish a 6wt most of the time for Smallies...I use a lot of foam flies; chernobyl ants, cicadas, hoppers, and big spiders. Also poppers, they're about a half inch in diamter. These all work great for the Smallies on my two favorite streams. When I fish streamers, they are tied big profile wise but the material I use makes the fly easy to toss so I don't have issues with using my 6 wt.

Dan

6. Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

one more question, please. if i go with the st. croix avid 6wt, would a teton tioga magnum (wide arbor 4-7wt, 5.6 oz) be too much reel? it is a bit heavier than my older 5/6 battenkill, but is also a large arbor.

Hey Kruggy, Cool Frog! Looks like a killer topwater pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by rapman View Post
    one more question, please. if i go with the st. croix avid 6wt, would a teton tioga magnum (wide arbor 4-7wt, 5.6 oz) be too much reel? it is a bit heavier than my older 5/6 battenkill, but is also a large arbor.
    I had a St. Croix Avid 9' 5wt, and any reel that falls around 5oz-5.5oz will
    balance nicely.

9. Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

Thanks Frank the frog works pretty good so far, I will post pics of some bass next time!!!

Rapman, you shouldnt have a problem with that combo, sometimes a large arbor will come in handy. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

10. Default Re: 6wt or 7wt for smallies

gentlemen, thanks for your help. and if your a vet, thanks for serving to protect my freedoms.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast