Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Bonneville dam web camera on the Columbia River.

Actually it's kind of a 'both.' You have BPA as part of the larger Columbia Basin Power grid. Here's a map (expandable) that shows all the dam locations (save for those in Canada).

http://www.bpa.gov/corporate/pubs/Federal_Dams_Map.pdf

There's a another thread going where in I posted a link to an 'interactive map.' Looks similar to the above, but if you 'click' on the dam it will give you a short over view of the facility (and if it provides fish passage).

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Hi Everyone,

There are several different types of fish ladders. A ladder style that works at one dam may be a failure at another dam. Even the best ladders don't work with all fish and the fish that do use them is only a percentage of the returning fish. With a tall dam the ladders can be too long and the fish get exhausted before reaching the top. Some ladders don't get used because the fish can't find the entrance. There is just a lot of problems with fish ladders in general and the best approach is the removal of the dam. I am afraid that fish ladders have been a failure far too many times and the fish stocks have suffered from the building of dams.

Frank

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
    It may have been the Savage Rapids dam that was removed in 2009 that I had heard of. Nice little tid bits of knowledge there, thanks for posting it. Hopefully more dam removal to follow.
    Respond to a couple of posts:

Savage Rapids is history, and the next one up-stream on the Rogue (Gold Ray) is more than half gone as I type. All of the dams in the Columbia/Snake/et al drainage are hydroelectric producers.

fae

Edit: Just found this link; appears a dam on the Wind River in Washington State is also going under the chopping block. http://ospreysteelheadnews.blogspot....l-on-wind.html Three down, and more to come.
    A good thing!
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

4. Default Re: Bonneville dam web camera on the Columbia River.

I live fairly close to Bonneville. It gets awfully crowded out there during a good run.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12