Winter fishing

webrx

Reaction score
got out today for a couple hours east of town before the storm clouds and wind started rolling in. Picked up a 12 inch bow and then this guy - for reference the length of the net frame is 15 inches so I put this guy at around 17 or 18.

Nice way to start a forced "No Fishing" week. We have storms scheduled in all week so I guess I am not going to be able to fish for a few days....Bummer we won't be fishing much, but, like a said, a nice way to start the cabin fever.

Dave

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
How far east did you go? A few buddies and I hit the Mustang area and Tracy. They walked away with a few nice ones but I came up empty. Got to try a new pattern though so I'm happy.

webrx

Reaction score
Packfanch, I'll send you a PM on the location, but I was west of mustang.

Mosca, yeah, it is supposed to be a good one this week, but as Packfanch said, we really need the moisture, especially in the tahoe area. We gotta get the lake back up to level so we can get the truckee flows back up and hopefully not have another drought year.

Larry - thanks it was nice to hook into a fighter.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Very nice fish... The Truckee is one river I've never fished... since I'm new to the whole sport of FF, I was hoping to get up there this Friday and get my line wet for the first time... but today it snows... and snows... maybe Friday the weather will break, but it's doubtful... again, beauty of a fish... I bet you enjoyed every moment of the fight as well...

webrx

Reaction score
Thanks, I fish the Truckee more then I fish anywhere else and it is a hoot when you are hooking fish, and a challenge when you aren't. The fish in the river do seem to have a bit more fight in them then equal size lakers around here, maybe it is because they live in the current, or maybe they are just mad when you finally figure out how to get em ;)

If you are "getting up here" where are you coming from?

d

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
If you are "getting up here" where are you coming from?

d
Web, I live in Dayton. I generally fish the East and West Carson or the West Walker and Little Walker. I've never fished Reno/Verdi, but when I drove to Cabelas last Friday, the river looked nice... if only it was a little warmer...

webrx

Reaction score
I am ok with the cold, but can't deal with cold and wind, thats when it isnt fun anymore for me. The big guys are in the deep pools below the riffles and rapids - just in case you get a chance to get out. Of course, you gotta find the deep pools, and get a fly to them in a somewhat natural drift - they are old, seasoned, and somewhat picky.

d

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
I hear Saturday is supposed to warm up a few degrees and no snow in the forecast... if the wind is not blowing, I may try to get out... ah, who am I kidding with no wind in Nevada... I was thinking about dropping in around the Crystal Peak Park and fishing downstream from there... any ideas there? It's either that or there's a park I found on Google Maps that is near the 4th St. and I-80 ramp, but I think that ramp is closed now... I'm pumped to get on the water and patience isn't my strong point... LOL

webrx

Reaction score
off of 4th street is Mayberry park, I have caught some fish there. Crystal Peak Park and down stream also have some. I have been fishing east of town lately along the 80 East of Scheels. There is also some decent fishing in some of the waters behind and around Cabelas if you want to combine fishing with picking up some stuff.

d