Yesterday

webrx

Reaction score
Got on the river for 2 hours yesterday around 3:30 pm. Started pouring down rain at about 4, but hung in there and ended up landing one 12 incher and LDR on another had a couple other strikes that I didn't get a hook set on.
They were hitting a flashback GRHE in a size 14 if anyone is curious.

My buddy joined me about 4:30 and he hooked a couple 6-8 inchers along the seam.

First time fishing in a winter rain/snow storm, was definately interesting, saw a couple other guys come out but once the rain started coming down they beat feet outta there. Helps to dress for the weather and have a good wading jacket :)

Interesting enough, all my hookups were without an indicator, I tried with one, but nothing. I am starting to think that I do better without one on this particular section of the river. Makes me stay more in contact with the line, less slack on the water and more attentive to my line when I fish no indicator - just a thought.

d

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I agree with you on the indo-bobbers. You will find times that you will do better with them and times that you will do better without them.

MP

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Nice way to stick out that rain... I was hoping to get up to the Truckee on Friday, but a change in plans canceled out any hope... Hopefully this new storm won't last all week like predicted.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dave: Yes indeed a nice wading jacket saved your day! Way to hang with the foul wx, sure looks like it was worth it.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,

Dave,

Nothing beats a good storm. I have always fished nymphs the old fashioned way and the takes are not hard to feel. If you've been reading me for a few years you know I'm sort of a caveman. The reason I bought those super sensitive fly rods was they were supposed to help "transmit even the most subtle take" to the rod tip. That floating fly line makes a fine indicator if you watch it close.

Ard

Bigfly

Reaction score
Web, glad you got some grabs. Indies aren't always the answer. Ard, isn't the only "caveman" around. Soft hackle on the swing, Baby!
Did you see the American Dippers eating midges in the snow. They are pairing now, and pinching/teasing/chasing like teenagers.
Their songs are seriously beautiful, the male is singing territorial. I can hear them up at the parking lot! Spring is coming. But don't put your snow shoes away yet.

webrx

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the comments.

It is nice having a good wading jacket, and it was kinda funny watching the FW fishers run for thier cars when the rain started coming down, then my bud and I had the river to ourselves.

I work Mon through Fri but can usually get out one day on the weekends (though my next few saturdays are booked for Cub Scouts (holding a Pinewood derby clinic for the boys) - if anyone is in the are and wants to wet a line give me a holler and we can try to work it out.

Last, I am not by any means a local river expert but know a couple spots, I also would like to learn a few more from those of you that are. My biggest problem with fishing, especially in the winter, is I can't hike for miles anymore, not like I could when I was 20 (many years ago) so I tend to fish places I can get relatively close to (with my wrangler so as long as there is a trail, I can usually get close).

d

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
The nice thing about the Reno area is you can park anywhere along the river and have a short hike to a decent hole.

webrx

Reaction score
That is a true statement Packfancjh. that is one of the reasons I like fishing the truckee, you can usually get to within a hundred yards or so just about anywhere. sometimes you gotta wind your way around to get to the back side, but, hey that is what jeeps are best at. :)

d

Bigfly

Reaction score
Bad weather sends the Pikers packing, like they say, dress for excess!
I have a spot that I go to up here, that everybody goes to. Easy access, but heavy pressure.
The pressure causes the fish to raise the bar. I respond in kind, and the fish return the favor, and so on....
Fishing behind someone, on highly educated fish is a fine way to hone your craft.
You know they are there, but can you make them say hi?
Let me know if you guys want to visit "the Lab", for a pop quiz.
It will be spring soon, and another season of learning begins.
Be good all.

Jim